Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wiring help needed
locoluego

posted on 25/9/08 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
wiring help needed

i am going to start the electrical work on luego after a long delay once i have connected the luego loom how do i conect the alternator to the battery? would i tyake the two red wires from the alternator (1300 x/flow engine) straight to the battery or does it go through starter relay?? also is there a ballast resistor dont know what they look like will this be like an in line fuse or included on the back of the alternator?? any help would be great.
r1_pete

posted on 25/9/08 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
It depends on the alternator, some, with two large and one small wire need a +ve feed from the battery to activate the field coils, others you can just use use one 50amp cable between the mbattery and alternator. Assuming its one of the lucas ACR range, test the two large connectors for continuity, if there is 0 resistance, you can just use the single wire, if they are o/c or high resistance one is for the field coils, I think its the connector furthest from the small ignition light connection which is field, but check.
The small connector goes to the ignition warning light the other side of the light to a switched live.
If your alternator requires a seperate control box, ditch it and get a later one.
Ballast resistors are usually used to drop the ignition coil voltage once the engine is running, and are concerned with the starter circuit rather than charging. During starter cranking the full 12v is applied to the coil, when the engine fires and the starter is released the voltage across the coil is dropped to 6-10v via the ballast.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Some idea of location might be handy, just in case there is someone nearby to offer advice/help in a more personal way.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

02GF74

posted on 25/9/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote

Sorry but these are very basic wiring questions.

I would strongly suggest you get someone to check over your work before connecting to the battery or else have a fire extinghisher close to hand if doing it all by yourself.

locoluego

posted on 25/9/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
thanks r1 pete for reply it is a lucas, it has two large red cables and a thin blue one i know the thin blue one has to be for charge light the other two red are the ones in question i just wanted to confirm what i was doing was right,

jollygreengiant im in newark, notts.

02GF74 every think is simple if you know the answer

jollygreengiant

posted on 25/9/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoluego

jollygreengiant im in newark, notts.

A bit to far for me but I'm sure that there are some helpful builders close to you if you are struggling.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.