Board logo

Caterham Superlight weight - K series - similar to Zetec?
Just - 26/8/06 at 03:37 PM

Just been driven on a track in a Caterham 1.8 superlightweight with a 160-170bhp K series in it. It made my Pinto look sloooow and was wondering if that particular engine was something really special or if an upgrade to a 1.8 Zetec with TBs would have the same results for my Tiger?

Jubal - 26/8/06 at 03:47 PM

They weigh around 500kg, model dependent. So the one you were in had about 320bhp per ton. None too shabby.

There was an R300 at the last trackday I did. 160hp and 525kg. It was usefully quicker than my blade Indy. You can't argue with physics.

Hammerhead - 26/8/06 at 04:11 PM

zetec engines weigh more than K series as far as I am aware. The K is all ally.

Danozeman - 26/8/06 at 04:26 PM

The k series is a very quick revvy light engine. I contemplated one for mine at one point.

Different management and TB's they are very quick..

ady8077 - 26/8/06 at 04:36 PM

Hi

The zetec SE weighs about the same as a K and has the exhaust on the same side as a pinto, there only a 1.6 but shawspeed recon they can be tuned to over 200 bhp

Might be an easier swap?

Adrian

ned - 26/8/06 at 05:51 PM

friend of mine is building an indy with a zetec se, apart from the bellhousing you can use it pretty much standard as the injection manifold sits under the bonnet nicely and its all ally and a suprisingly small/narrow engine compared with most 2ltrs so easier to work around.

1.7 variant in puma's and they can be upgraded relatively cheaply for good power.

Ned.

skydivepaul - 26/8/06 at 10:17 PM

i looked into this recently as a change from the BEC. puma 1.7 or new fiesta 1.6 zetec SE can give 200bhp.

expect to shell out over £3000.00 not including the engine to get this sort of power and you wont have anything under 2000rpm. brilliant for sprints, hillclimbs, track and race but might be a flat on the road. like a BEC

also what you are trying to compare is a very expensive well sorted car with a budget blaster. nothing wrong with the MK or locost types but the caterham R300 is a very quick car....................you get what you pay for

[Edited on 26/8/06 by skydivepaul]