Board logo

442 chassis designs
goodall - 16/8/09 at 01:44 PM

is there any other 442 chassis design out there other mcsorley 442. i ask because i want the extra 4 in width inches to continue until the nose cone rather than only be in the passenger compartment

i have downloaded both the +4 and +442 designs, with the plan combine the two, however if were something already done save me the effort it would be greatly appreciated

RichardK - 16/8/09 at 01:55 PM

Personally haven't heard of any, as if wider is needed they tend to go for a Viento instead.

A +442 (4" Longer,4" Wider,2" Higher)can accommodate most engines, what you planning to put in there?

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 16/8/09 by RichardK]

goodall - 16/8/09 at 02:14 PM

its more for looks than engine bay space, im fairly certain my engine (audi 5) would even fit a book chassis, however being 6ft and fairly broad, i need extra space i reckon, so i was settled on a 442 mcorley untill i stated comparing it to other wide chassis from various kit manufactures
i think that with the wider rear to the chassis and the narrow front always looks abit odd, i know sounds very picky especially considering the car really isnt about the looks, but might well settle now on a chassis

RichardK - 16/8/09 at 02:20 PM

I know what you mean, I in fact went the other way and wanted a very tapered look so made the front track narrower too! Loads of stuff in my gallery if you're interested.

I'm 6'4" and pretty lardy 16.5 stone, thats what the wii fit says anyway on the positive side it does say my wiifit age is 25!! (I'm actually 40)

What other wide's have you been looking at?

Take care

Rich

907 - 16/8/09 at 03:11 PM

Hi

I added 4" to all the transverse dims in Ron's book.

I needed wider rear for Sierra drive shafts (IRS)
Wider tunnel to accommodate the gear box.
Wider engine bay as my engine lays over at 45deg.

So that's it. 4" wider, same length, same height with book w/bones.

The only issue is the nose cone, but as I was making one anyway that's +4 too.

As they say, the drawing is only a guide.

Cheers
Paul G

austin man - 16/8/09 at 04:48 PM

I made mine to the original Ron Champion dimesions and added 4" to the width nose cone backward, had to widen a nosecone though. also changed the rear to accomodat the sierra rear arms this required making the car a touch longer. In hindsight I should have gone for double wishbone at the rear. I also narrowed the top of the tinnel this has allowed me to get wider seats in. The additional cockpit space is really good especially in the footwell areas

James - 16/8/09 at 05:26 PM

Just add 4" to the transverse chassis rails.. easy.

You can buy bodywork for it from GTS whose W7DE chassis is +4" (assuming it's ever delivered ). You might be able to get the same stuff from Triton.

HTH,
James

wilkingj - 20/8/09 at 07:29 AM

Luego Viento is 6" wider, 12" longer, and 4" taller than a Std Locost.

and LOADSA room everywhere.
my son is 6ft 6" and 24Stone, and has no problem fitting in the car, either lengthwise of width.

My V8 almost looks lost in the engine bay. There is a good 1 Ft spare space in front of the engine.