Board logo

BEC Clutch bite adjustment quicky.
bitsilly - 11/8/09 at 03:46 PM

Injected R1.
When you press the clutch pedal there is a half inch or so of very easy travel. This does actually move the clutch arm, so there is an initial bit of easy travel on the clutch arm, though it does not seem to do any disengaging.
Does anyone know if it is necessary to leave this? I would prefer to tighten the whole thing up so the arm never sweeps that last bit, so when you use the clutch you don't have that dead zone?
Could that cause any problems?
Cheers
Ed

nstrug - 11/8/09 at 03:58 PM

Yes, as your clutch beds in, it will take up some of the slack. So if you have it at the end of the spring travel (i.e. no slack), as the clutch beds in it effectively be partially disengaged, and therefore will slip.

Nick

james h - 11/8/09 at 04:10 PM

Instead of using the bracket on the crancase cover to hold the clutch cable, I have run a more direct route to the pedal. I removed the spring and took up the slack to do this. I don't seem to have suffered any ill effects so I assume its fine.

James

ETA My clutch is already bedded in

[Edited on 11/8/09 by james h]

bitsilly - 11/8/09 at 04:17 PM

Cheers Gents
That all seems to fit! I will take up a bit of the slack and make sure there is always some free.
The cable is already mounted in a fairly good position at 90 degrees to most of the travel but I may make the arm a little longer.
Thanks again
Ed

maxey74 - 11/8/09 at 04:22 PM

I wouldn't go too far. Even slight disengagement on the clutch will reduce it's effectiveness and increase wear. On bikes it is recommended to leave 2mm of free play (at the lever end ).

I would move the actuator arm (on the engine) by hand as far as you can, tighten the adjuster to take up the slack and then back it off just a little bit to leave a tiny amount of slack.

I'm new to BEC's but I know a lot about bikes, I think this info translates... probably more in a car as the clutch is worked much harder when pulling away.

Cheers

Max

adithorp - 11/8/09 at 04:41 PM

Which R1 is it? If you take up the play then you have more clutch throw. On the earlier diaphram clutches you can turn the spring plate inside-out with too much throw. Then the pedal stays down and you've no drive.

adrian

bitsilly - 11/8/09 at 05:53 PM

There is WAY more than 2mm at the mo so I should be OK.
It is a later injection engine. I may change the geometry of the spring anyway and attach it so it is operated by a linear spring.
Thanks
all