Board logo

First time State-side builder
mdfisher21 - 9/3/06 at 06:43 PM

Looking to begin my first ever Locost product here on the other side of the pond. Been trying to identify a donor vehicle that provides me with all (or most) of the mechanicals that I need. Things like solid rear axle, correct from spindles, proper engine / trans. I have been having a little difficulty because I have an aversion to typical US domestic cars, and there isn’t a lot of readily available "foreign" models to work with. Thinking about using an older 83-95 Volvo 4/6cyl donor. Has anyone attempted this, or have any suggestions as to this being a great or terrible idea? I just joined up so ANY help at all would be great. You can post here are email me at :

mfisher@williamsvillek12.org

I'm a school teacher so my computer access is regular. Thanks for all the help.

rayward - 9/3/06 at 07:43 PM

Hi and Welcome,

not 100% sure but i think someone on hear is building in the US,using a Mazda MX5, or Eunos as a donor.

Ray

Humbug - 9/3/06 at 08:49 PM

I think there are some people who have used Volvo engines (Volvorsport?) - not sure about axles, etc.

Paul L - 13/3/06 at 10:25 AM

Think Miata is a popular locost doner in Aus - try googling

This is a us ebay shop who manufacture a MX5/Eunos/Miata locost chassis

http://stores.ebay.com/Coveland-Motorsports

Other options may be '80's rwd Corolla or the small Chevy similar to 80's Opel Kadett

[Edited on 13/3/06 by Paul L]

Dutchman - 13/3/06 at 11:10 AM

well it shoud not make any differences ... volvo is using DANA axel so you can put as much power as you want on it. the other parts are also OK , only the stearing should be without the servo , I recomend v6 lot of potential I goth one in my yard still make a ride in it... but not yet prepered to chop it for locost...