Board logo

Handbrake cable - Velocity - also sorted!
stevegough - 28/4/09 at 06:26 PM

Following the build manual for the velocity, there is a few places where fitting the handbrake cable is mentioned, but the sierra donor is all one cable, with a half - moon balancer, but the whole inner cable is a couple of feet too long.

The manual mentions two seperate cables.

Do you just cut it in the middle + to length? If so, what with? Hacksaw?

I am also going to try mounting the handbrake on the left of the tunnel - it seems reasonably straight forward?

[Edited on 17/5/09 by stevegough]

jollygreengiant - 28/4/09 at 06:54 PM

Cable can be cut with a very good/large pair of side cutters or, lineman pliers or, sharp chisel and a hammer onto a metal plate.

Hope this helps.

blakep82 - 28/4/09 at 07:03 PM

cutting disc in the angry grinder gives the cleanest result i'm told

whitestu - 28/4/09 at 07:36 PM

I cut mine with a big pair of pliers at the end to the right length and used a mig welder to make a new nipple out of a blob of weld.

It still works 3 years later.

Stu

[Edited on 28/4/09 by whitestu]

DanP - 28/4/09 at 09:52 PM

I may be the odd one out here but I just bought a brand new one from the Westfield website as I didn't trust my shortening skills, 20 quid and it was practically the right length.
HTH

stevegough - 29/4/09 at 09:01 AM

Thanks again, guys - just looked at westfield's website £21.96 - doesn't sound too bad, but mind is at another crossroads this morning - I've got drums ready to go on the rear, but thinking - how much work to find / fit discs?

rusty nuts - 29/4/09 at 09:35 PM

Could be that the cables you need are from an Allegro? My car is an IRS Luego Locost which I think is the same rear end as the Velocity and thats what I have used.

tj4ord - 9/5/09 at 05:36 PM

i think if u decide to go for discs instead of drums u would need not only get the discs and calipers i think the wheel carriers from luego are different and drive shafts are different also i could be wrong been a while.

stevegough - 10/5/09 at 03:54 PM

No, I've decided to stay with the drums - there was a discussion on here a few days ago which made my mind up. Too much work for little or no improvement, methinks.

tj4ord - 10/5/09 at 05:24 PM

Well could u let me know how u get on with the handbrake cable as going to be doing mine in the next few weeks. thanx

stevegough - 10/5/09 at 09:37 PM

unlikely to be doing much on the car over the next couple of weeks due to work + course commitments, but I'll let you know when I have.

I have been busy today, though - put some brackets in for the handbrake amongst other things (see my other post):

Not too bad, considering I have never welded before yesterday! Rescued attachment new handbrake mounting brackets.jpg
Rescued attachment new handbrake mounting brackets.jpg

tj4ord - 12/5/09 at 08:04 PM

just to update i ordered the cable from westfield so will try and fit it this weekend and take pics.

stevegough - 12/5/09 at 08:43 PM

look forward to seeing those pics, TJ.

tj4ord - 17/5/09 at 05:34 PM

Just to update. Tried fitting the wesfield cable this weekend turning out to be a bit of a ball ache. As found out i have to modify the rear wheel carrier due to the angle the cable goes into the back plate. will put up pics when thats done.