Board logo

some issuse
vinnievector - 26/3/09 at 11:22 PM

Hi all ,ok a few issues concerning the car for the test .
it mentions in sva test there are areas of exemption on the protrusion test ie behind the steering wheel doses this also include in front of the gear stick on the dash .

I have plastic tank also fitted which came with the car supplied by MK when the kit was originally bought Is it best if i just change this to an ally one instead or do you think the plastic one will be ok .

I have a set of rear led light clusters which i bought off the ebay some time ago there not E marked but do have ADR markings which are Australian and in the sva annex section they are recognized will they be ok?

And last one my exhaust, the rubber mount bolt stick out slightly will these have to be covered up ?

[Edited on 26/3/09 by vinnievector]

James - 26/3/09 at 11:40 PM

No to the gear stick.

Yes, the plastic tank is fine. FOr IVA it'll have to be certified.

Lights I don't know.

Bolts, if they protrude and can be hit by the cone then they must be covered. Stick a plastic/rubber nut cover on... job done.

HTH,
James

omega0684 - 26/3/09 at 11:42 PM

the SVA manual stipulates that you have 127mm from the edge of the steering wheel that will be exempt from testing anything outside of this will be subject to a radius test.

personally i would change the plastic tank for an ally one, if you are unsure whether it is suitable then i would ring mk and the sva centre for conformation.

SVA manual states that tail lights and stop lights must have an approval mark E,e or BS"R"

if your exhaust brackets have sharpe edges then i would wrap them in some exhaut wrap etc

vinnievector - 26/3/09 at 11:51 PM

Back to the lights my interpretation is that if you imported car or lights for that matter out side the EU and are included in there part one annex to the sva they recognise these marking and treat them like for like . I will call them to find out ,if not i will have to blank off the large holes in my rear wings for now buy some cheapos and ,well you know the rest .

omega0684 - 27/3/09 at 12:04 AM

i dont have an annex in my sva manual, so where does it state it, considering the fact that you can get a whole lighting kit off ebay for 20-30 quid i wouldn't run the risk, give them a call and see. i have just read the hole section on lighting and it doesn't say anything about using lights from foriegn countries.

vinnievector - 27/3/09 at 08:55 AM

There is an annex to the sva this covers things like foreign parts cars and special use cars.
As most imports come from Asia or the states there parts have different making but are tested in sim or even same way, i think some even ground on parts was come to other wise all or most imported cars would fail our test so this is why this annex exist to cover this .as for lights they are measured in candelas so if your import lights Emmit the same light its like most things if your SVA mans not aware of this then he will fail it ,so i must go armed with the info or change the lights over.
cheers Vin

adithorp - 27/3/09 at 09:15 AM

None E-marked lights are allowed (with the exception of headlights) if they have "a similar brightness when compared with a lamp bearing an appropriate approval mark".
That comes down to the testers opinion and experience.

adrian

vinnievector - 27/3/09 at 09:53 AM

Hi Adithope, That was my interpretation also but will call.
Had to bite the bullet and order a ally fuel tank.

mad-butcher - 27/3/09 at 11:00 AM

totaly agree with lights, my personal import Pajero had to have an sva and needed a retro fitted rear fog. the rear lights are japanese but because supporting documention exists on the rear lights on the official pajero imports there is no problem

omega0684 - 27/3/09 at 03:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
None E-marked lights are allowed (with the exception of headlights) if they have "a similar brightness when compared with a lamp bearing an appropriate approval mark".
That comes down to the testers opinion and experience.

adrian

it doesn't say that in the sva manual, it clearly states that tail lamps, stop lamps and reflectors have to be E-marked

adithorp - 27/3/09 at 03:29 PM

Section 9.1 reasons for failure, 2, vii.

adrian