Board logo

VOSA VANS ...
G3OFF - 11/4/05 at 07:37 AM

Helllo..

anyone seen those VOSA vans kicking about in there local area?

looks like some sort of mobile testing station they have introduced.. as they were pulling people to one side and looking at the cars...

anyone got any info?....

JoelP - 11/4/05 at 07:38 AM

i saw an 05 plate van, stripey back end, funny grey and blue lines down the side, blue lights but no mention of the word 'police'. is this one? its been parked up for a few days, and you can vaguely see cameras in the back windows.

Danozeman - 11/4/05 at 07:40 AM

That one sounds like a safety camera van..

chunkielad - 11/4/05 at 10:23 AM

VOSA are clamping down on illegal fuel (red diesel etc) so their vans are all over the place.

ned - 11/4/05 at 10:27 AM

time for the catsan then

mac1ZR - 11/4/05 at 10:30 AM

we drove our car up to mac 1 in sheffield the day after our 1 st sva failure-got pulled by VOSA roadside check!they were going to check emissions but we explained they had failed already so the bloke let us go on our way

mangogrooveworkshop - 11/4/05 at 12:16 PM

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/hgvpsvoperators/vosaroadsidechecks/vosaroadsidechecks.htm

that what they are about.
The customs boys do the tank dips and swab the exhaust the test it in the mobile lab.
Then the road tax boys do there thing with specs camera equipment to catch you with no road tax.
THen the scamera speed saftey boys are after you for speeding

After all these ********* have had a chunk you wonder why you are still driving...

G3OFF - 11/4/05 at 01:29 PM

what about all the peeps that remove the rubber edge trim.. and all those "sva" only bits...

theres a lot of Roadside Prohibitions on that list... could you image getting pulled someone who just doesnt like locosts....

clbarclay - 11/4/05 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chunkielad
VOSA are clamping down on illegal fuel (red diesel etc) so their vans are all over the place.

If they check red deisel then they often hang round agricultural shows, diping the tanks of landrovers as people leave the show.

wilkingj - 11/4/05 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
If they check red deisel then they often hang round agricultural shows, diping the tanks of landrovers as people leave the show.

Oi... Its not us Landy drivers... Red Diesel stains the inside of the pipes and cant be cleaned out.

Info on Diesel Laundering

They use Sulphuric Acid to wash it out. You get some of the acid left in the fuel, and it eats the heart out of your diesel pump. Diesel pumps are Expesnive to repair.

Peteff - 11/4/05 at 06:22 PM

You can use red diesel as long as you declare it and pay the tax on it, same with alternative fuel like chip oil etc.

JoelP - 11/4/05 at 06:31 PM

as pete says, its the tax evasion thats illegal, not the fuels themselves! not sure how you would prove that you were paying the correct amount of duty though...

JamJah - 11/4/05 at 06:50 PM

Chip Oil should be included in the clean fuel provisions. Shouldnt be paying tax on it. Like you dont get taxed on solar power.
I think the only tax you may face is if you have to do it through a middleman like powergen. *Other suppliers are availible.*

omega 24 v6 - 11/4/05 at 07:39 PM

they've been doing emission checks up here if you fail i believe its £60 and a retest mot to prove youv'e got it sorted. Don't qoute me on this though
Have also heard a rumour that you can only drive certain colour cars on certain days of the week on a rotational basis with no fore warning. Get it wrong and its a fine. Soon we will have no pennies left to spend on our cars.

Peteff - 12/4/05 at 12:14 AM

That's like the conversion to driving on the right later this year. All cars registered before 2000 start in June and those registered after convert in August. Bikes will carry on using the middle as before.

omega 24 v6 - 12/4/05 at 11:26 AM

LOL but would we be surprised if all of this were true. PROBABLY NOT.

ned - 12/4/05 at 11:35 AM

I think these specs cameras are actually a good idea, if they are hooked up to a database and can check road tax and possibly insurance i teh future it'll make the roads safer imho. send fines and court proceedings to the registered owners etc.

i doubt most people would have nothing to worry about with the vosa checks, so they aren't really a concern unless you are partaking in some dodgy fuel, which to a point serves you right.

speed camera's - lets not go there - again.

Ned.

keith2lp - 12/4/05 at 11:46 AM

Hi

I have read some where that VOSA are increasing there mobile presence and Hampshire police are the first force to allow them to stop you without a police officer being present.

Sounds like another way to extract a few more pennies from us.

Keith

irvined - 12/4/05 at 12:21 PM

Does anybody else find this blurring the lines between policement and normal (un)civil servant a little worrying?

D

omega 24 v6 - 13/4/05 at 11:37 AM

You have to stop for a police officer. Would you need to stop for anyone else.If so you mind find all sorts of weirdos setting up road blocks in quiet areas to trap women travelling alone etc. Or am i being to sceptical.

ned - 13/4/05 at 11:47 AM

you have to stop if you hit someone, so if you really want to pull anyone over you have to just give em a nudge, then stop to check vehicles/exchange insurance details.

This is good if you need to find out where someone lives, get a mate to give em a bump, make sure it's nice and soft so there's no damage, but insist on exchanging details

Ned.

craig1410 - 13/4/05 at 12:17 PM

Ned,
I don't think you have to give out your address, only your name and insurance details.

Isn't there also a law which allows you to refuse to stop if you have reason to believe the police officer is not genuine? Might be tricky to get away with that when you are surrounded on the M6 by 6 marked police cars and a helicopter though...

Cheers,
Craig.

Avoneer - 17/4/05 at 09:50 AM

You can stop and refuse to get out of your vehicle and ask them to follow you to the local police station if you are concerned about them being genuine.
Pat...