Board logo

Sierra brake pads
iiyama - 24/3/09 at 09:16 AM

Picked up a set of Sierra calipers last year just in case the Hi spec items I had fitted failed SVA. Well SVA man did fail the Hi Specs so I need to fit the Sierra items.

Basically I know nothing about what I have and I need a set of pads for them. Are all Sierra pads the same? If not how do I identify what calipers I have?

mcerd1 - 24/3/09 at 09:25 AM

I think all the sierra rear pads are the same

if they are the calipers you got from me - just ask for rear pads for an XR4x4 (and if they insist on details say its a 1989, 2.9L )

[edit]
ebc's website (look at the models listed in the yellow bit)
http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/search/default.asp?part=dp571&v1=car&t1=

they are all (inc 4x4 and 2wd cossies) either a 571 (with wear indicator) or 617 (without wear indicator) pad in various compounds

[Edited on 24/3/09 by mcerd1]

vinnievector - 24/3/09 at 09:30 AM

Hi mate , your calipers hould have a number on them ,but if you know the age of the car you took them off unipart should be able to help ,
You now have me worried about my brakes as i have fitted willwoods ,and also have to take it to the botley testing station .
Wot did they fail them on .

vinnievector - 24/3/09 at 09:34 AM

Panic over thought you were talking of your front calipers .

Do you have Hi specs fitted to the front and did they pass ok

nstrug - 24/3/09 at 09:40 AM

They're all the same - just use the flip chart at Halfords.

Nick

iiyama - 24/3/09 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I think all the sierra rear pads are the same

if they are the calipers you got from me - just ask for rear pads for an XR4x4 (and if they insist on details say its a 1989, 2.9L )

They are the very same, couldnt remember who I got em from! LOL! Gettin senile I think!

Vinnie, got Hi Specs front and rear. Rear are the Ultralight 2 handbrake calipers and they failed because the inner pads operate hydraulically at all times, even with the handbrake. Basically SVA man dosent like it because "what happens if you get a hydraulic leak?" he asks. "Same thing that happens if the handbrake cable snaps", was my reply. He didnt buy it so I failed.

Cheers guys.

mcerd1 - 24/3/09 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
They are the very same, couldnt remember who I got em from! LOL! Gettin senile I think!

well it was nearly a year ago now

I should add that the only reson for asking for XR4x4 pads is they are easy to find in the book at the motorfactors (and you don't get cossie tax)

iiyama - 24/3/09 at 11:49 AM

£14 from Halfrauds.....marvelous!

iiyama - 24/3/09 at 12:36 PM

Next question.....how the hell do you fit em???

mcerd1 - 24/3/09 at 12:47 PM

I'll send you some stuff later......

or have a look here: linky

iiyama - 25/3/09 at 08:58 AM

Sorted, Thanks for the link!