Board logo

Handbrake
shortie - 26/10/09 at 06:34 PM

Just a quick question, this may sound stupid but I can't remember from the last build!

If the brakes are not connected (as in hydraulic system) then does the hand brake still work or does it need the hydraulic system to be connected to work?

TIA,
RIch.

Howlor - 26/10/09 at 06:36 PM

Shouldn't really need the hydraulic system to function. Although you may need it to get the pads close enough in the first place for the mechanical handbrake to then work.

Steve

Humbug - 26/10/09 at 06:38 PM

Hey, Rich - couldn't keep away from the seven scene, eh?

Re your question: I believe that for IVA (certainly SVA), the handbrake must NOT be hydraulic. On my live axle drum-braked car the handbrake pulls cables that mechanically pull the rear brakes on... not sure exactly how it would work for discs

Simon

shortie - 26/10/09 at 06:43 PM

Hi Simon, good to hear from you!!

Thinking about it the cable is moving the caliper spring perfectly but makes sense that it does at least have to be near the disk to start with!

theconrodkid - 26/10/09 at 06:52 PM

Rich,you shouldn't pull on the handbrake unless the pistons have been pushed out by hydraulic pressure,wind them in before pumping/bleeding the brakes

Howlor - 26/10/09 at 06:53 PM

The handbrake tends not to move the pads that far for greatest mechanical advantage. You need to get the fluid in and move them close to the disk to get it working.

Steve

shortie - 26/10/09 at 06:57 PM

Ah ha! that makes sense then, I think last time I had already bled the whole system so they worked straight away!