Board logo

Securing brake lines at unions...
tegwin - 29/10/07 at 03:03 PM

What is the SVA approved safe method of mounting brake lines where they join? (Im sure someone on here mentioned that they had failed due to their mounts being wrong)

I currently have female ridig pipes and male flexi pipes. The male is pushed through a hole in the bracket and the female is then screwed over the male... However this does not clamp the pipes firmly in the bracket...

And NO...im not planning to use tampons

[Edited on 29/10/07 by tegwin] Rescued attachment Brake union.JPG
Rescued attachment Brake union.JPG

mookaloid - 29/10/07 at 03:19 PM

you need a slim nut to secure the male bit to the bracket before connecting the female brake pipe nut to it.

Cheers

Mark

iank - 29/10/07 at 03:21 PM

You'll be wanting a bulkhead fitting, either in the flexihose like these mini ones:
http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=34809

Or Automec do a bulkhead fitting. HU106 which I think allows M10 1mm fittings either side, but there's no picture on their website I could find

David Jenkins - 29/10/07 at 03:24 PM

I had male bulkhead fittings - same as ordinary male ends, but with a longer threaded part. This fitting was secured with a slim M10 nut, leaving sufficient thread for the female fitting that joined to it.

bigrich - 29/10/07 at 04:52 PM

thin nuts used on side panel joint then a reinforcement disc fitted to stop panel flex.
different position same principal

tegwin - 29/10/07 at 05:36 PM

Ok, looks like all im missing are the slim nuts...

Standard ford hoses are 10x1.0mm arnt they?

And where can I get the nuts? Chears.

ed_crouch - 29/10/07 at 06:45 PM

Careful!!

quite a lot of them are 3/8"UNF.

Ed.