Board logo

Which Dremel?
Daddylonglegs - 21/4/09 at 08:41 AM

Mornin' all.

The missus asked me what I want for my birthday and I told her I wouldn't mind a Dremel tool. Trouble is, which one??

Any input would be appreciated. (Bearing in mind that I think asking for the Rolls Royce model would be pushing my luck)

handyandy - 21/4/09 at 08:48 AM

just ask her to get you the cheapest model, she,ll feel guilty then & buy you the "rolls royce" model, cunning plan as baldrick would say,

andy

02GF74 - 21/4/09 at 08:52 AM

I have the black and decker equivalent. gotta be 10 years old.

I have used it so that it got so hot I could not hold it in my hand and it still keeps on going.

in that time it has broke just one chuck spring, easy to get replacement so is still going....

Dangle_kt - 21/4/09 at 08:52 AM

dont get the ones from maplins. mine died after about 30 mins overall use. I had to finish cutting out the nose cone by hand

vinny1275 - 21/4/09 at 08:56 AM

I got the right-angled attachment for mine and it's really useful, you can get it in a tighter spot, and I find it's easier to control that way, especially when cutting / sanding fibreglass...

Like with German cars, it's the accessories that make it expensive!

Daddylonglegs - 21/4/09 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
just ask her to get you the cheapest model, she,ll feel guilty then & buy you the "rolls royce" model, cunning plan as baldrick would say,

andy

Steve P - 21/4/09 at 09:31 AM

the wife got me this one recently. used a few times with great success.

http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_300_Series___55_Accessories_and_Case.html

[Edited on 21/4/09 by Steve P]

sucksqueezebangblow - 21/4/09 at 01:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve P
the wife got me this one recently. used a few times with great success.

http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_300_Series___55_Accessories_and_Case.html

[Edited on 21/4/09 by Steve P]

I second that, go for one with a flexible drive, they are great for getting into awkward difficult spaces.

Daddylonglegs - 21/4/09 at 01:55 PM

Cheers chaps

iscmatt - 21/4/09 at 03:06 PM

I have had both a wired one and a battery one and will stick to battery from now on, so much more freedom

sickbag - 21/4/09 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by handyandy

andy

But she might buy the cheapest one, then buy herself a new pair of shoes to celebrate.