Board logo

Best tool for cutting down bolts
Dangle_kt - 30/5/09 at 10:13 AM

Hi,

One of my fail points at SVA was the bias bar was a touch too long, and so was scraping against the side of the pedal box, I have moved the bolt along, but that leaves no room for the securing nut and roll pin, so I need to trim the bolt down a touch.

I have an angle grinder, with either grinding disc and 1mm metal cutting disc - or I can go and buy a decent hacksaw.

I have screwed the correct size and pitch nut on, in case the trhead gets a bit buggered, so I can wind it off and so restore any slight defects the cutting may create.

So folks, what is the best tool for a decent job?

theconrodkid - 30/5/09 at 10:29 AM

angry grinder and cutting disc every time,no point in wasting energy with a hack saw

BenB - 30/5/09 at 10:37 AM

Doesn't matter what you use to chop the end of the bolt off with but a good trick is to cut the end of the bolt off where it meets the nut and then give it a good file. Then when you undo the nut you have a nice thread at the end (not only because its been cleaned by the nut coming off but because the end thread is protected by the nut itself)...

Dangle_kt - 30/5/09 at 10:44 AM

roger.

Thanks chaps!

blakep82 - 30/5/09 at 11:33 AM

how does it scrape on the side of the pedal box without interfering with the clutch or accelerator?

just curious...

Dangle_kt - 30/5/09 at 12:17 PM

the pivots are all in line at the bottom of the pedal box, whereas the bias bar is a few inches further up. The pedal box has two end walls, and two walls to seperate the accelrator, brake and clutch. - it is these "interior" walls that the bias bolt rubs against. Its only JUST touching, but is a fair fail point, as brakes should be spot on shouldn;t they!

blakep82 - 30/5/09 at 12:55 PM

ah, so the pedals are are seperate units. i understand. yeah, best trim it down anyway

MikeRJ - 30/5/09 at 02:28 PM

Hacksaw and hand file are my preferred tools for any reasonably mild steel. Much more control, no sparks and no grit/metal dust flung over everything, and I need the exercsie!

mr henderson - 30/5/09 at 02:56 PM

I shorten bolts several times a day, and also prefer a hacksaw for the job, and file a chamfer on afterwards.

John

WestfieldSEI - 14/6/09 at 07:27 AM

As the two above says, hacksaw every time, and you can handle the bolt again staright away without burning your fingers...