Board logo

DIY Sandblasting Cabinet
RoadkillUK - 2/4/10 at 07:48 PM

I've spent the last week gathering items to build my blast cabinet, hope you like it

Flickr Link

Paul TigerB6 - 2/4/10 at 07:50 PM

Looks great - just needs a coat of crimson red paint now!!

So where's the build write up then?? Costs etc??

speedyxjs - 2/4/10 at 07:51 PM

Very nice!!

I really want to make one too but dont have the room at the moment

big_wasa - 2/4/10 at 07:56 PM

Nice, I miss mine but just dont have the space.

StevieB - 2/4/10 at 07:56 PM

Nice - as posted already, any chance of a build story and costs?

What does the blue barrel do?

My next project is going to be a classic restoration so I reckon I'll be looking to build a cabinet myself.

g.gilo - 2/4/10 at 10:27 PM

if it starts to wear the mdf, line it with rubber? any thing will do commercial vehicle inertube cut in to sheets is a good start or old rubber car mats, big industrial shot booths use 8/10mm sheet rubber lasts for months.

[Edited on 2/4/10 by g.gilo]

eddie99 - 2/4/10 at 10:51 PM

Also interested in how much it cost you? Want to make me one?

gazza285 - 2/4/10 at 11:39 PM

Blue barrel will be the reclamation chamber, everything else reminds me of a rabbit hutch for some reason. Hope you have a big compressor.

How's Rick by the way? Playing them drums yet?

iank - 2/4/10 at 11:47 PM

Legs could probably do with some crossbracing, but other than that it looks like a very handy thing to have.

skodaman - 3/4/10 at 02:33 AM

Very impressive. What sort of spec compressor do you need to run a blasting gun?

LBMEFM - 3/4/10 at 05:17 AM

Well done Roadkill looks brill. Barry

Stuart_B - 3/4/10 at 07:23 AM

that looks cool, i want one.

as said build cost and a build diary is there?

cheers

stuart

40inches - 3/4/10 at 09:06 AM

More pics/info here

RoadkillUK - 3/4/10 at 05:13 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy cleaning and painting the wishbones with Unclefista, it takes a long time with an average home compressor.

There's no build diary but there is some information on the Flickr link.

The only thing I really measured was the width and height, the rest was held to it and marked with pencil ... even the window was a coincidental fit.

£18 for the Gloves and light, from Screwfix
£10 for the window from the scrappers
£10 for the blast gun from Aldi
I already had the sealant, grill and pipe and also some of the wood, the rest is just wood.

The legs are definately not the best, I have some 19mm square tube that I might use.

It could really do with a bigger compressor, but we all knew that anyway didn't we

Thanks for the positive comments and as for those who don't have the space, neither do I really

Edited to add:-

It could do with a vent on the door really as the only time the dust is being sucked out is when I'm blasting otherwise there's no air going through.

[Edited on 3/4/10 by RoadkillUK]

RoadkillUK - 3/4/10 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Blue barrel will be the reclamation chamber, everything else reminds me of a rabbit hutch for some reason. Hope you have a big compressor.

That's the plan with the blue tub but as I say above it's not getting much out as the cabinet needs a vent.

quote:
How's Rick by the way? Playing them drums yet?

I know Rick, but you're probably thinking I'm Unclefista ... neither of us have heard anything from him for a while.

[Edited on 3/4/10 by RoadkillUK]

gazza285 - 3/4/10 at 09:02 PM

My mistake, though it was you that knew Rick better, not Tony. My bad.

Bigger pipe to the blue tub needed?

designer - 8/4/10 at 05:06 PM

I have some detailed plans on my site.

http://www.shedworks.eu/projects.html