Board logo

What to upgrade - Computer guru's needed
speedyxjs - 29/12/10 at 12:48 PM

I have had my PC for 4-5 years now and during that time the only upgrades i have done is 1GB RAM to 4GB. It all works fine except the few games i use it for, seem to run fairly slowly (due to improvements in gaming technology i suppose?).

As there is still over 100GB of storage space left, the only thing i was thinking may improve it would be to upgrade the motherboard/CPU but as i know bugger all about this side of computers, i thought id let the guru's here advise before i spend loads of money on parts that wont help much.

I know it had a dual core 2 at the moment but i know there are now faster ones out there.

pekwah1 - 29/12/10 at 12:54 PM

you'll need to tell us what you have already....
you have stated 4gb ram which should mean you have a half reasonable motherboard...
Also, 4gb ram should be plenty for most games, so would be pointing towards maybe CPU or graphics card.

Give us a better spec of what you have and you'll get a better answer

cliftyhanger - 29/12/10 at 12:55 PM

I am no guru, but the best thing I have done is format the HDD and reload windows. I think they get gummed up with all types of cr*p over time. Ccleaner helps, but not enough.

Now, over to yonder guru's

speedyxjs - 29/12/10 at 01:06 PM

Yeah, i use ccleaner. I knew after i hit the post button that i would need to give more info lol. Will need to wait till i get home to post that

PSpirine - 29/12/10 at 01:07 PM

Core 2 Duo + four gigs of ram is quite meaty.

I'd say get yourself a nice video card if it's games that are causing problems for you. Lately though getting a good video card is not that straightforward - they try to trick you by offering 1gb video cards for cheap - they won't run your games and are only good for HD media players.
Look out for something with at 256-bit memory interface at least! Any powerful card will have an additional power supply port i.e not just fed from the pci-e port.

speed8 - 29/12/10 at 01:10 PM

I recently upgraded my desktop as it was about 8 years old and couldn't keep up with my broadband speed!!!

I used the following to build it

Asus P6X58D-E 1366 motherboard
Intel i7-930 Quad Core Processor
XFX Ati Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Card
6Gb Ram

A few other bits and bobs but thats the main gubbins.

It's fairly quick now but since it's a few months old it's probably obsolete.

speedyxjs - 29/12/10 at 01:21 PM

I know the graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS which from wiki seems to be from 2006

[Edited on 29-12-10 by speedyxjs]

PSpirine - 29/12/10 at 01:27 PM

One of these then?

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400GS 1GB PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD on eBay (end time 30-Dec-10 17:05:36 GMT)

Notice how it's got 64-bit memory interface! That'll be your problem then

Look out for at least 256-bit and I guarantee you it'll make a noticeable difference.

speedyxjs - 29/12/10 at 02:25 PM

That'll be it! Cheers

mookaloid - 29/12/10 at 02:28 PM

Brither in Law has just fitted one of these Palit SONIC nVIDIA GTX 460 Geforce 1GB to a core 2 duo pc which wasn't playing games very well and now it flies

bigfoot4616 - 29/12/10 at 03:14 PM

just had a AMD Radeon HD 6950 delivered, looking likely to be best card in the £200 area.
there has been a lot of success with people flashing the second bios and getting the card up to 6970 spec.
it does need a large case though and 2 additional power leads

BenB - 29/12/10 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
just had a AMD Radeon HD 6950 delivered, looking likely to be best card in the £200 area.
there has been a lot of success with people flashing the second bios and getting the card up to 6970 spec.
it does need a large case though and 2 additional power leads

Blimey. 2 power leads that's some serious welly! (or just horribly inefficient!)

speedyxjs - 29/12/10 at 07:08 PM

Seems i was wrong. The graphics card is actually a geforce 9400GT so it already has 128 bit. The rest of my pc is
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Processor
- 1.86GHz, 1GHz FSB, 2MB Cache
- 4GB DDR RAM

none of which makes any sense to me so i dont know if that is good by modern standards or not lol

Should i upgrade to a 256bit card?

bigfoot4616 - 29/12/10 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Blimey. 2 power leads that's some serious welly! (or just horribly inefficient!)

they are meant to be fairly efficient compared to others. just being a powerfull card they will use quite a bit when maxed out, i think most top end cards are like that now and using 200w/250w at full load.

that 9400GT wasn't a powerfull card when it was new so definatly worth an upgrade.
overclocking the CPU will help as well