Board logo

pinto engine block
lotusmadandy - 9/11/08 at 05:16 PM

Now then, here's one for the boat anchor
users.i am building up a 205 engine for my
indy and have come across a tapping in the block that on all the others i have had
has not been there.
It is on the exhaust side of the engine
and is underneath the water drain plug,
going through into the sump.It looks to me like an oil drain but i want be sure what it's there for and has anyone got an idea of the thread size to blank it off.

Andy.

jacko - 9/11/08 at 07:32 PM

Is it the one just behind the engine mount if so it goes into the sump it was used on cosworth 205 blocks sorry i don't know the thread maybe 1/4 bsp
engine  2
engine 2

rusty nuts - 9/11/08 at 07:52 PM

Turbo oil drain return perhaps?

DarrenW - 10/11/08 at 01:00 PM

If your block just has the hole and you need the bolt to block it try AndyD. His spare block probs still has one fitted.

Ive replied on ne7ers too.

lotusmadandy - 10/11/08 at 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info lads.I got this block from Andy D last weekend.

Andy

DarrenW - 11/11/08 at 01:17 PM

Andy,

Can i be picky and suggest you post this under the engine section as you may get a better result. Im surprised no-one knows the thread size or has a spare somewhere. Im pretty sure its some type of tapered thread but cant remember which. Maybe if you post the ID of the hole someone might be able to propose what it could be. The temp sender i fitted into mine was something like 1/8 nptf which threw me as the sender was way bigger than 1/8" OD!

jacko - 12/11/08 at 09:09 PM

Think its the same as air line / tools

DarrenW - 13/11/08 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Think its the same as air line / tools

Ah ha - good point. When i was having breathing problems i screwed a PCL connector into that hole to act as a drain from the catch tank (not a good idea by the way) so in theory a PCL or similar connector (fish tail type) screwed in with a bit of hose and a bolt in end to blank the hose would serve as a temp plug.

vinnievector - 16/11/08 at 07:14 PM

Hi Jacko ,noticed you have a tapperd airbox on the Pinto dose it work well ?

Hi lotus me daddy , a tip you could buy a zuse book in there it will give you drill and tap sizes , i had to plug a few holes on the pinto measured the hole dia and select drill and tap size from the book handy to have any engineer supplies will sell em about a fiver

[Edited on 16/11/08 by vinnievector]

jacko - 17/11/08 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vinnievector
Hi Jacko ,noticed you have a tapered airbox on the Pinto dose it work well ?

[Edited on 16/11/08 by vinnievector]

Hi i had the engine / carbs set up at Bogg Brothers and they was very impressed on how well the air box work
Jacko

sebastiaan - 18/11/08 at 07:03 PM

The oil return hole is 3/8 NPT, see here for confirmation.