Board logo

emission problem on TVR
Lightning - 27/9/10 at 08:33 PM

Failed the MOT today on emissions. Now somewhere in the past an addative has been mentioned to help with this.Can someone let me know what is best to use?

I plan to put this in but first give it a damn good thrashing as it has not been used much lately. BTw chimaera 4.0.

(When I have built a car port for the spire I will eventually take the body off the chimaera and refurbish the chassis..........how hard can it be)

marcjagman - 27/9/10 at 08:36 PM

I would use redex and an oil change afterwards, maybe some ZX1 too.

perksy - 27/9/10 at 08:41 PM

Cataclean ?

Have read a few good reports about it

But never used it...

StrikerChris - 27/9/10 at 08:48 PM

Is it far off?from my nightmare sva I think additives is clutching at straws,although can't hurt.what were the readings?

RAYLEE29 - 27/9/10 at 08:51 PM

Hi, may or may not be relevant but on my tr8 changing the ignition timing helped the emissions enough to get through the test previously had high hydrocarbons 3000 plus swinging the dizzy got down below 1200 this engine runs a holley
yours is probably injected so some injector cleaner woudnt hurt and a good thrash up the dual carriagway normally lowers the hc too
hope this helps
ps plug gaps can help too slightly wider should lower hc's on idle
Ray

[Edited on 27/9/10 by RAYLEE29]

PAUL FISHER - 27/9/10 at 08:52 PM

This is good stuff.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/product-0893559.php

Have you still got your precats fitted in both manifolds Steve,alot of owners have removed them, if so the engine has to be very hot to get the main cat up to temperature, another thing to check on the Chimaera's is the air filter, with it being low down behind the grill they soon get blocked, which will effect the emissions.

Lightning - 27/9/10 at 09:04 PM

Both precats are still in. That stuff looks good. Cant do any harm, I will give it a go thanks

[Edited on 27/9/10 by Lightning]

adithorp - 27/9/10 at 09:22 PM

What were the readings?

adrian

Lightning - 27/9/10 at 09:28 PM

Twill post tomorrow when I get the sheet from the office

Agriv8 - 27/9/10 at 09:43 PM

* cough * if it i connected remove the pipe between the rocker covers and the inlet plenum *cough *

I suspect you have quite a bit of moisture in your oil and as this is waming up this is going through the intake system as vapour and thus the high HC.

I vent mine to a catch tank but can go into this latter If required as need ZZzzzzzzz's

Regards

Agriv8

speed8 - 28/9/10 at 04:29 AM

The rules may have changed but iirc only one bank has to pass. Doesn't help if you have a link pipe but my old Cerbera had a decat in place of the cats and link pipe and it would pass, just.

Edit as I missed out a word

[Edited on 28/9/2010 by speed8]

steve m - 28/9/10 at 09:13 AM

I had a similar problem on my old r75, and each year it was coaxed through the mot by a friend, i changed the lamda and the emmissions were lower than the published figures for the car, it also seemed to drive smoother

I have also used cataclean, and that seemed to lower the figures as well

steve

ashg - 28/9/10 at 09:29 AM

has it got the standard airbox on it?

stevebubs - 28/9/10 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I had a similar problem on my old r75, and each year it was coaxed through the mot by a friend, i changed the lamda and the emmissions were lower than the published figures for the car, it also seemed to drive smoother

I have also used cataclean, and that seemed to lower the figures as well

steve

Different Lambda sensor was going to be my suggestion...

Lightning - 5/10/10 at 03:41 PM

Did nothing except thrash it down the lanes....It passed easily... Get the CATs hot!