Board logo

mx5 doner
whitstella - 22/5/12 at 11:56 AM

hi

just brought a mx5 1.8 2000, but i can not get t started. it ran for 30mins last friday and all seemed ok, then went back to it over the weekend and i could not get it running. ran for about 3 seconds and stopped and tried again and ran for 3 seconds and everytime now just keep turning over. i checked for a spark yesterday and nothing. i want to put it back on the road so i can run it for 6 months to make sure its ok. any ideas????

cheers steve

bartonp - 22/5/12 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitstella
hi

just brought a mx5 1.8 2000, but i can not get t started. it ran for 30mins last friday and all seemed ok, then went back to it over the weekend and i could not get it running. ran for about 3 seconds and stopped and tried again and ran for 3 seconds and everytime now just keep turning over. i checked for a spark yesterday and nothing. i want to put it back on the road so i can run it for 6 months to make sure its ok. any ideas????

cheers steve

It's kebabed.

thefreak - 22/5/12 at 12:12 PM

Lol

Imobiliser?

adithorp - 22/5/12 at 12:15 PM

Petrol?

BigLee - 22/5/12 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Petrol?

^^ +1 Tried for hours with mine once. All it needed was fuel.

bonzoronnie - 22/5/12 at 03:04 PM

Assuming that it has not run out of petrol ?

Another vote for immobilizer.

My Mazda 6 used to do that now & then

Would fire up then promptly stall, if the MX5 has the same system as the 6, if it cuts out 3 times the immobilizer system will lock.

Once the system is locked you can forget about trying to start it.

Sometimes mine would reset itself after a few hours & other times, a battery disconnect would do the trick.
Leave the battery disconnected for 30-60 min's ( I was told it also helps if you turn the ignition on & depress the brake pedal after the battery has been disconnected )

Is the red key symbol showing on the dash with the ignition on ? ( Should flash when you turn the ignition on & then go out once the signal from the key has been read )

[Edited on 22/5/12 by bonzoronnie]