Board logo

Anyone run a garage near Manchester? Need a car fixed!
PSpirine - 19/9/12 at 09:50 PM

One of my mates has just said her Corsa (2004)'s gearbox has gone:

Details (quoted):

Gearstick got stuck in neutral and wouldn't move or engage gear.
After a bit went in and car drove but gears don't feel right.

To me sounds like a clutch adjustment or hydraulic fault (don't know whether it's cable or hydraulic!).

If somebody local (she's in Hulme) could have a look to better diagnose and hopefully fix it assuming it's not terminal, it'd be much appreciated as she's not exactly a car person and I wouldn't want a dealer to rip her off.

PM me contact details and I'll pass them on to her so she can get in touch direct and explain it a bit better!

Muchly ta,

Pavel

PSpirine - 19/9/12 at 09:54 PM

Update:

"gears are crunchy and difficult to select"

Sounds even more like clutch actuation to me...

rusty nuts - 19/9/12 at 10:01 PM

Check the gear linkage before condemming the box. They suffer with broken linkages . Easy to fit if you can get under the car to get at the linkage pinch bolt.

omega 24 v6 - 19/9/12 at 10:31 PM

There is a plastic ball joint rod ( joints at both ends) which are notorious for wearing/jumping off. If its that its a 5 seconds fix ( really is) to clip it back on. The wire it or tie wrap it in place and it'll last for a long time yet.
ETA you can see it over the back of the gearbox at the bulkhead area looking in with the bonnet open> no need to crawl under for this one. ( If thats what it is)

[Edited on 19/9/12 by omega 24 v6]

PSpirine - 19/9/12 at 10:38 PM

Thanks both, I don't think the linkage is broken if it "fixed itself", but if they wear out that could be it! or the clutch isn't disengaging properly..

I'd pop over and have a look myself but I'm 100 miles away this week..

Cheers
Pavel

omega 24 v6 - 19/9/12 at 10:40 PM

My son in laws one had the problem I described. He could still get gears but it didn't " feel right".

matt_gsxr - 19/9/12 at 11:28 PM

adithorp is based around that area and is good

Slimy38 - 20/9/12 at 05:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
There is a plastic ball joint rod ( joints at both ends) which are notorious for wearing/jumping off. If its that its a 5 seconds fix ( really is) to clip it back on. The wire it or tie wrap it in place and it'll last for a long time yet.

That failed on my brother in laws Astra, but he'd had trouble selecting gears for ages. He'd just put it down to a typical 'vague' gear select. When it finally did break we couldn't even tie wrap it back together and had to buy a new one, about £20 I think? His first comment was 'wow, the gearbox feels good!'.

britishtrident - 20/9/12 at 06:48 AM

Other thing it could be is low gearbox oil level, mainshaft needle roller bearings over heat and bind

adithorp - 20/9/12 at 07:25 AM

U2U sent

For what it's worth, first thought was linkage but from later description it's most likely a release bearing or clutch finger failure...

Linkage failure invariably includes the words "it's gone all floppy" in the description.

[Edited on 20/9/12 by adithorp]

marcjagman - 20/9/12 at 08:39 AM

Put the car in gear with engine of, push clutch pedal down and hold it, start car, if the car moves it's a clutch problem, if it doesn't then it's something else.

adithorp - 20/9/12 at 02:29 PM

Well... The fluid in the brake resevoir was below the take off of the clutch master and it run out through the bottom of the bell-housing as quick as we can top it up. Looks like the concentric slave has gone. we won't know the full story untill the 'box is off.

PSpirine - 20/9/12 at 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your help

*warm fuzzy loving LocostBuilders feeling*