Board logo

Car tax online
austin man - 6/10/14 at 07:42 PM

Just Purchased a new motor it had one month tax remaining but due to new legislation that doesn't count for anything so online I go an get this message

GB new keeper - please enter the full 12 digit number from your V5C/2. NI new keeper – sorry, due to NI insurance legislation, new keepers must tax at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.

Looking at the service history the cars been in the UK since first registration or am I missing something

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh

geoff shep - 6/10/14 at 07:56 PM

Isn't it just saying you are Ok if you are in UK - but if it gets sold to someone in NI they have to do it in a post office?

Do you have a 12-digit number to enter?

The change to online tax doesn't seem to have been thought through. And presumably every time a car is sold the tax man gets an extra month's tax as the month of sale is paid for both by the seller and the buyer?

[Edited on 6/10/14 by geoff shep]

austin man - 6/10/14 at 08:06 PM

Problem is that under the old rules the car is still taxed as it was taxed to the end October they don't make things easy, looks like I will ride the gauntlet until Saturday when I can get into the post office.

Bunch of alienate pricks the DVLA and all departments associated

loggyboy - 6/10/14 at 08:14 PM

NI? Northern Ireland? Are you on the wrong site?

scott h - 6/10/14 at 08:25 PM

I agree with Geoff above. Only if you are in NI do you need to go to a post office.
Thinking about this overlap of road fund licence when changing cars, would getting a car SORNed before you sell it be a way around it?

[Edited on 6/10/14 by scott h]

austin man - 6/10/14 at 08:39 PM

Checked the vehicle reg and it comes up as still taxed I think this is where the problem is. The dealer hasnt registered the car so hasnt ragged the tax in as up to September he was selling with Tax new rules meant he couldn't rag the tax in he said he has more than £400 tied up in tax that he cannot claim back as the vehicles are not registered to the business they are just assets.

The government has well and truly stitched up the driver this time. I cant believe that the new electronic system doesnt allow for payment for part month especially when you can pay by direct debit

big_wasa - 6/10/14 at 08:40 PM

I thought you could still sell with the car the old paper disc so you will still have the month to run ? Then when you get the new paperless tax it will be non transferable or have I got that wrong as well. ?

adithorp - 6/10/14 at 08:42 PM

V5c/2 = new keeper slip from the V5c that you should have from the seller.

You're a "GB new keeper" so you enter the 12 digit code from the V5c/2.

You're not a "NI new keeper" so that bit doesn't apply to you and you don't have to go to the PostOffice.

benchmark51 - 7/10/14 at 09:30 AM

If you buy a car mid month, the seller will cash in the tax for each full month. For the remaining, part month, tax is still paid and the car is still entitled to be on the road. The new owner taxes the car from the beginning of the next month. If the car was advertised with tax, then the amount recovered by the seller when cashed in is deducted from the sale price. Whats wrong with that?

If the authorities try to play the 'wide boy' to gain by overlapping the tax paid on the car, then it will take a 'test case' in court to sort it out

adithorp - 7/10/14 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
If you buy a car mid month, the seller will cash in the tax for each full month. For the remaining, part month, tax is still paid and the car is still entitled to be on the road. The new owner taxes the car from the beginning of the next month. If the car was advertised with tax, then the amount recovered by the seller when cashed in is deducted from the sale price. Whats wrong with that?

If the authorities try to play the 'wide boy' to gain by overlapping the tax paid on the car, then it will take a 'test case' in court to sort it out

Not under the new rules. When you sell a car you get full months back, part month is lost and new owner has to re-tax in their name from the purchase date.

Slimy38 - 7/10/14 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Not under the new rules. When you sell a car you get full months back, part month is lost and new owner has to re-tax in their name from the purchase date.

Strictly speaking the new owner has to re-tax in their name from the beginning of the month, not from the purchase date. So if the sale happens on the 25th, the new owner will still have to pay from the 1st, thereby paying 25 days of tax when they didn't even own the vehicle.

benchmark51 - 7/10/14 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
quote:

Strictly speaking the new owner has to re-tax in their name from the beginning of the month, not from the purchase date. So if the sale happens on the 25th, the new owner will still have to pay from the 1st, thereby paying 25 days of tax when they didn't even own the vehicle.

In which case people will manipulate the sale date to coincide with the 1st of the month?
I still think a court ruling is needed to settle it.

Slimy38 - 7/10/14 at 02:14 PM

quote:

In which case people will manipulate the sale date to coincide with the 1st of the month?

I agree, but I think even then because you're now in the month (even on the 1st day), the old owner will not get a refund for that month. It certainly works in the new owners favour, but ultimately it's still a double charge.

And yes, I think there may be a few court cases of supposed 'missed tax', where the new owner has not got tax yet, the old owner has got their refund, and the DVLA try and say that the car is untaxed when actually it's covered twice.

CosKev3 - 7/10/14 at 03:41 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
quote:

Are you willing to take the gamble to find out?

Cause your car will be impounded for a start, which will cost you to get back, and not until its taxed.

I gambled on driving a untaxed car 6 miles after setting it up, ended up costing me just over £700 with release fee/fine/court cost's