Board logo

Newbie in Aberdeenshire
Slater - 28/4/06 at 03:53 PM

After years of dreaming, research and looking through this forum, I'm about to take the plunge. I'd just like to introduce myself and say Hello.

I'm planning on building a MAC#1 Type ZR with a 2.0 Pinto (or maybe Zetec). I've now got room in the garage, permission from wife, and some savings to spend. I'm in no rush and expect it to take a few years. I am mechanically minded but don't have much experience with cars, only changing brake pads and the like.

Now I'm on the lookout for a donor and have just placed an wanted ad in "Scot-Ads", so just have to wait and see if anything appears. If anybody knows of anything suitible in the Aberdeen/Insch area, please let me know. I'm after a 83-88 Sierra with 2.0 SOHC engine.

Once I've stripped the donor I'll order up a kit from MAC#1. I'm doing this for the build experience not particularly the car itself.

Keith.

omega 24 v6 - 28/4/06 at 04:15 PM

Welcome to the madhouse mate. I'm in the Broch (yeh yeh I know). There are a few other locals on here (I'll let them introduce themselves ). A very helpfull and informed bunch of guy's (and girls) on here.
Hope you get a donor soon.

Johnmor - 28/4/06 at 05:04 PM

I am busy building as we speak, need any help , give me a call , your only a few miles away.

Had a few test runs today, goes like sh'# of a shovel, sounds fantastic, long way from finised though.

omega 24 v6 - 28/4/06 at 05:09 PM

As a thread hijack how manyof you guys are going to the granite city rally tommorrow?

[Edited on 28/4/06 by omega 24 v6]

Slater - 28/4/06 at 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, specially from those of you in Aberdeenshire. You are welcome to come and see the MAC#1 kit once I get it. I'll probably be in touch in the near future, wouldn't mind a look at your machines...

dave dickson - 28/4/06 at 08:24 PM

I pop back to Aberdeen every now and then for business, but havent met any of the other locals.

If you have a few hours free on monday and thursday evenings, Thainstone auction occasionally turns up suitable donors, ranging from complete knackers to pretty decent cars.
Sales start at 6pm iirc.

zetec7 - 28/4/06 at 09:29 PM

Just a thought - the Zetec is a lot shorter in height (i.e. easier to fit), has more HP, and weighs a lot less than the Pinto motor. THey also look fantastic, especially with Webers!

Simon - 28/4/06 at 10:02 PM

Keith,

Welcome to the forum!

You're welcome to come and see my car any time - just give me a little notice.

Like when you're setting off

I'd not expect it to take too long as you're building a kit, just get as much organised in advance of the build as possible, and you should be able to assemble in a couple of weeks

ATB

Simon