will end up getting damp.

Or just go for the standard hose vented out
the window job?

Cheers

s

handyandy - 11/2/09 at 10:09 PM

out the window jobby.

twybrow - 11/2/09 at 10:09 PM

Compared to external vented machines, they are less efficient (take longer to dry clothes, and use more energy). If however you have no choice, then the modern ones are pretty damned good.

thunderace - 11/2/09 at 10:13 PM

i got one last week for the first time it was a hover one it was reduced from from £340 to £250 and seams do work very well.got it from currys have put it back up to £300 ,go to currys site and read some review thats how i picked mine buy online is cheaper than the shop.

mr henderson - 11/2/09 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Compared to external vented machines, they are less efficient (take longer to dry clothes, and use more energy). If however you have no choice, then the modern ones are pretty damned good.

Are you sure they use more energy? The current Bosch models are B rating for the condensor, and C for the vented.

We have a Bosch condensor and it works very well.

John

StevenB - 11/2/09 at 11:04 PM

Cheers guys.
s

MikeR - 12/2/09 at 12:07 AM

They also provide an amount of heat - well mine does in the house

designer - 12/2/09 at 06:14 AM

I inherited one from in-laws. Good machine and keeps the dog war in the utility room.

designer - 12/2/09 at 06:15 AM

That's keeps the dog WARM!

matt_claydon - 12/2/09 at 06:19 AM

They may or may not use more energy, but the difference is a standard drier sends it all out the pipe and wastes it but a condenser heats your home.

Steve P - 12/2/09 at 06:39 AM

Yep certainly warms the place up. altho the amount of water that the wife gets out the thing.

BenB - 12/2/09 at 08:02 AM

Main issue with a condensing drier is they usually use the cold water supply to cool the air (ie to condense it). Therefore they might not use much more electricity but they do use water at a fair rate of knots....

mr henderson - 12/2/09 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Main issue with a condensing drier is they usually use the cold water supply to cool the air (ie to condense it). Therefore they might not use much more electricity but they do use water at a fair rate of knots....

Good job water is a LOT cheaper then

britishtrident - 12/2/09 at 08:21 AM

We have had washer/dryers which dry the same way or 20 odd years.

They extract the moisture via a direct contact condensation --- ie water spray so they don't actually provide any waste heat --- 95% of the heat goes down the drain with the condensate.

The bigest problem is they are less reliable -- and prone to clogging up with fluff which knock the drtyingefficiency to hell.
The life of the dryer heater will also be shortened if they are swithed off without being allowed to complete the cooling down part of the cycle..

bigandy - 12/2/09 at 09:18 AM

We bought a condensing tumble drier a couple of weeks back. I'm quite impressed with it, although we did have a few niggles to begin with.

I wanted to put it in the garage to provide a bit of warmth in there (detached garage, no heating in there ) but after having installed, it was taking about 3.5 hours to dry half a load of washing, and not really heating the garage much at all.

Just as a test we brought it into the kitchen, and found a similar load of washing to dry in about 2 hours, max. My theory is that it was too cold in the garage, and it couldn't cope with having to warm things up so much. The plus points are that it heats the kitchen nicely now though

Cheers
Andy

Ps. Ours requires no water connection at all.....

Steve P - 12/2/09 at 10:30 AM

Ours doesnt require water either. Just get a container full of water back after a few uses.

JoelP - 12/2/09 at 11:25 AM

ive fitted a lot and never seen one plumbed with a water feed.

Confused but excited. - 12/2/09 at 02:24 PM

I have a Candy one and it's crap!
It takes for ever to dry a load, thus using a ton of them kilowatt things.
I want my old Whirlpool 'pipe out of the wall' one back. It lasted over ten years without a hitch and dried clothes out like the Sahara.

BenB - 12/2/09 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

How does it work then??!?! I thought the whole point with condensing tumble driers is that they heat up the clothes, water evaporates, condense the water vapour on cool plate (cooled by passing mains water), remove water....

JoelP - 12/2/09 at 04:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

How does it work then??!?! I thought the whole point with condensing tumble driers is that they heat up the clothes, water evaporates, condense the water vapour on cool plate (cooled by passing mains water), remove water....

could be a similar concept to a fridge, ie both hot and cold parts with a compressor.

mr henderson - 12/2/09 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
I have a Candy one and it's crap!
It takes for ever to dry a load, thus using a ton of them kilowatt things.
I want my old Whirlpool 'pipe out of the wall' one back. It lasted over ten years without a hitch and dried clothes out like the Sahara.

It might take a long time but I'll bet it doesn't use as much electricity as a vented one. If it was using a lot of electricity where would the heat (the main cause of electricity consumption be going? WIth a vented one you know exactly where the heat is going, straight out the vent!

John