Board logo

is this a scam
joolsmi16 - 28/2/12 at 11:08 PM

email a guy on piston heads about a bike and got the following reply:

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.I'm selling the vehicle due to a job relocation ( I work as a petroleum engineer in Bangor Ireland - where I'll stay 1 year on a Petroleum Platform) and I haven't got anyone in UK to help me out with the sale.

The vehicle is at the shipping company warehouse in Aberdeen/Scotland and from there it will be shipped to buyer's address. But that's no problem, because I pay all costs for the delivery to your location and I give you 5 days for inspection before you decide whether to buy it or not. They even allow the buyer to test the vehicle before paying for it and I think it is the fair thing to do.

If you are a serious buyer and if you are really interested and if you need more details about the vehicle,
I am waiting for your prompt response.

Sincerely, Peter

Anyone heard of something similar his not ask for a delivery cost / deposit??

bj928 - 28/2/12 at 11:12 PM

1000%

loggyboy - 28/2/12 at 11:13 PM

Seems like it to me, who doesnt know someone in the UK?

snippy - 28/2/12 at 11:23 PM

The phrase "The vehicle is at the shipping company warehouse" is quite common in these scam e-mails. I would steer clear personally.

austin man - 28/2/12 at 11:24 PM

Deffo a scam

Sincerely Peter Hmm I bet hes Nigerian a typical English man would end Yours Sincereley oh and only after he started with your name not Hello

omega 24 v6 - 28/2/12 at 11:26 PM

Ask him where abouts in Aberdeen it is or the shipping agent. I bet between us we could find out if its true LOL

Chippy - 28/2/12 at 11:26 PM

Language sounds a bit stilted as well, may not be a scam, but I wouldn't chance it personally. Ray

Macbeast - 29/2/12 at 07:36 AM

" Petroleum platform " and " your prompt response " sound a bit Nigerian iffy.

The Venom Project - 29/2/12 at 08:15 AM

Sounds like a scam to me

No matter what he is selling, there will always be another for sale, probably in the UK, you can view, test ride without anyone knowing where you live etc:

I would steer clear

designer - 29/2/12 at 08:30 AM

The language is ALL wrong!!

van cleef - 29/2/12 at 08:40 AM

If it is an offshore platform he works on, legally he can't stay on the rig as long as he states.

I'm in aberdeen and if you need someone to pop in past the warehouse to see if it exists I would happily oblige.

Bluemoon - 29/2/12 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by van cleef
If it is an offshore platform he works on, legally he can't stay on the rig as long as he states.

I'm in aberdeen and if you need someone to pop in past the warehouse to see if it exists I would happily oblige.

but it's simple for a scammer to do an Internet search to find a real import warehouse...

Ninehigh - 29/2/12 at 12:08 PM

Oddly enough a thread title comes up like this and I find myself thinking "yes it is a scam, now to see what scam it is"

MikeRJ - 29/2/12 at 12:38 PM

It has all the hallmarks of a scam. I wonder if the car will have suddenly been sold if you ask to go and inspect it?

bobinspain - 29/2/12 at 03:18 PM

100% scam!
He'll suggest that to keep your money 'safe', you deposit in an escrow account that he can't access without your say-so that the bikes all ok. He'll suggest a kosher looking escrow company, and there's the rub ! It won't be, it'll be set up by him, but very professional looking and it's bye-bye money and no bike.
I've seen the wording many times. It's a common ruse.
Avoid!

Forgot to mention, a pal here in Spain spied an ad' with almost identical wording for a Merc, being sold at £4k when the book price was £7.5k.

'If it looks too good to be true-----------.'

[Edited on 29/2/12 by bobinspain]