Board logo

Bailiffs?
coozer - 8/11/07 at 08:18 PM

If a bailiff knocks on your door and you answer is it legal to push past you to get in?

Or is it legal to prevent him coming in?

nib1980 - 8/11/07 at 08:27 PM

once the door is open and they have a foot in the property you can't stop them.

why?

britishtrident - 8/11/07 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
once the door is open and they have a foot in the property you can't stop them.

why?

Istr the law has recently extended to give them even more powers of entry --- they can now try a door or window if it is unlocked -- scary in view of rise in identify theft.

ed_crouch - 8/11/07 at 08:54 PM

Bit trickier for him when he's got a 12 bore stuck up his nose.

Ed.

Avoneer - 8/11/07 at 08:58 PM

Yep - if a door or window is unlocked, they can legally enter.

Pat...

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/11/07 at 09:03 PM

give him one of these blokes.....they will sort it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtIjwU8Swk

Confused but excited. - 8/11/07 at 09:16 PM

Nanny Blair won't let us play with fun toys any more.

Peteff - 8/11/07 at 09:47 PM

If they have a warrant to seize goods it is illegal to refuse them entry isn't it? It was when a friend of mine owed the VAT man money years ago.

wilkingj - 8/11/07 at 09:55 PM

Keep a nice Dog as a pet, a Dobermann or Rotteweiler, German Shepherd.

or a Corgi, Jack Russell (couple of evil small dogs)

If they come in, then they pay the price. Its the dogs home as well.

Nice big notice..

Bewars of the Dog,
And

Guarded by Smith & Wesson

graememk - 8/11/07 at 10:31 PM

coozer, do you have a problem that maybe we could help you with ?

craig1410 - 8/11/07 at 11:26 PM

I thought the law was that they can't enter unless you invite them in but once they are in they can return at any time without needing further permission. Having said that I think the law in scotland is different to england.

I hope everything is okay Coozer.
Craig.

Edit:
Yeah I was right - they can't enter by force unless they are collecting on behalf of the Taxman. See this article for some very good advice:

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_basics/bailiff-guide.htm

[Edited on 8/11/2007 by craig1410]

DarrenW - 8/11/07 at 11:31 PM

I suspect its not Coozer they have been after unless they were wanting the washer back that is getting converted into a ZX9 air box

Peteff - 9/11/07 at 12:12 AM

This is an admission that you know your dog is dangerous and will get it put down if it bites anyone, just put up a sign saying pooch lives here.

TimC - 9/11/07 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
This is an admission that you know your dog is dangerous and will get it put down if it bites anyone, just put up a sign saying pooch lives here.

What is the world coming to? If I caught some &%$£ in my house I might as well book myself in at the local prison.

awinter - 9/11/07 at 08:32 AM

Petes, right, let em find out the hard way. Don't put any sign up, our dog will soon let anybody know she is there. If they then choose to come in it thier problem.

[Edited on 9/11/07 by awinter]

designer - 9/11/07 at 08:48 AM

If ever asked why you have this huge dog, always say it is a family pet; never mention guard dog, keeping safe, etc.

It has to be a family pet.

coozer - 9/11/07 at 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk
coozer, do you have a problem that maybe we could help you with ?

No, I was just watching a program called 'beat the bailiff' on sky253.

Just wondered if the guy walking straight in when you open the door was cosha....

Thanks anyway...

craig1410 - 9/11/07 at 09:31 AM

Apparently this is a common tactic along with suggesting, "maybe we should discuss this inside to avoid embarrassment..." but it is absolutely crucial that you never invite or allow them into the house regardless of what they say or do and of course keep all windows and doors locked if you are expecting bailiffs round for whatever reason.

Here's hoping that none of us ever need to worry about this!

Craig.

oliwb - 9/11/07 at 10:14 AM

They're not allowed onto the property in Scotland. Nor are they allowed to take anything from the property without permission (which is unliely). I had to take Edinburgh council to court over council tax I wasn't due to pay (student) and they called in baillifs. It was at this point I went to citizens advice who told me this info and to cut a ong story short we ended up in court and Edinburgh council had to pay us compensation. Helps that I gave them my mum's address too as the only item there of mine was my Tiger (in lots of bits!). If they had taken anything they'd have been done for criminal offences (stealing).
Guess you lot in England aren't as well protected. Also helps having a couple of shotguns and a rifle in the house......Oli.

emsfactory - 9/11/07 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
I thought the law was that they can't enter unless you invite them in but once they are in they can return at any time without needing further permission.

Much like vampires

Dangle_kt - 9/11/07 at 10:20 AM

Scary thing is that Baliffs called at my house a few months ago, the previous owners were in debt up to there eye balls and were being chased by loads of different companies.

Thankfully they belived my wife that they didn't live here any more - but imagine if they had walked in and started taking our things!!!

Incredable!

Saying that, were I live, if you leave your door/windows unlocked you don't have a house to come back to

britishtrident - 9/11/07 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Scary thing is that Baliffs called at my house a few months ago, the previous owners were in debt up to there eye balls and were being chased by loads of different companies.

Thankfully they belived my wife that they didn't live here any more - but imagine if they had walked in and started taking our things!!!

Incredable!

Saying that, were I live, if you leave your door/windows unlocked you don't have a house to come back to

Yes scary stuff particularly as a lot of the firms involved are cowboy outfits that don't don their home work by doing simple things like looking up the on line electoral role, it seems they simple pick random similar names from the phone book.

In Scotland one Glasgow based debt recovery outfit has a very bad reputation for perusing totally innocent parties for debt, to make matters worse they deliberately try to give the impression they are Sheriff's Messengers at Arms when they aren't.

[Edited on 9/11/07 by britishtrident]