Board logo

More ebay madness
Paul TigerB6 - 18/3/08 at 08:17 PM

Well for the past couple of days i have been watching a pair of mountain bike wheels on ebay. They finish at 9:30pm this evening and are already up to £80 with £15 postage so £95. Having looked around the internet i can buy a brand new pair with delivery for £113 so only £18 more and that gives not only a brand new pair of wheels but the full 3 year guarantee Mavic give!!

Will be interesting to see just how close to the new price these get in the next 75 mins!! Safe to say I wont be bidding!!

madness imminent

onzarob - 18/3/08 at 08:24 PM

Yes but these have been saftey tested on the road

ed_crouch - 18/3/08 at 09:01 PM

Makes you wonder why theyre being sold??

Swapping wheels out is a bit of pain in the arse: removing the freehub, scattering bearings all over the floor etc (well, unless theyre in a cartridge). why would you do that?

Ed.

Paul TigerB6 - 18/3/08 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ed_crouch
Swapping wheels out is a bit of pain in the arse: removing the freehub, scattering bearings all over the floor etc (well, unless theyre in a cartridge). why would you do that?

Ed.

Well the ones in my bike take around 3 seconds for a front and less than 10 for the rear as they are quick release ones and not the through bolt ones that i think you are referring to found on downhill bikes.

Well they went for £90 plus £15 postage in the end!! Crazy fools!! I'll pay an extra £8 and get some new ones!!!!

MikeR - 18/3/08 at 11:54 PM

i'm looking for a drill sharpening stand. Thought i'd look on ebay and found some for around 15 to 20 pounds plus 4 or 5 pounds postage.

Looked on Machine Mart - 8 pounds + 4 pounds postage, or i can pop into my local one ...... hmmm, wonder what i'll do?

ed_crouch - 19/3/08 at 12:46 AM

Yeh but you gotta pull the disc off, undo the freehub to get the cassette off etc.

I couldnt be arsed...

Ed.

Schrodinger - 19/3/08 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Yeh but you gotta pull the disc off, undo the freehub to get the cassette off etc.

I couldnt be arsed...

Ed.

Six screw for the Disk and the one nut that holds on the cassette and no need to remove the freehub. Ten minute job

Paul TigerB6 - 19/3/08 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
quote:

I couldnt be arsed...

Ed.

Six screw for the Disk and the one nut that holds on the cassette and no need to remove the freehub. Ten minute job

If that really, such a simple job to do with the right tools and as you say there's no need to remove the freehub from the wheel - just remove the locking ring for the cassette and slide it off, job done.

Great wheels anyway for the (new) price - just very tempted to get the next ones up the range as the Mavic Crosslands can take UST tyres so no need for an inner tube - less punctures. Anyone used these wheels at all? - i know there are a few mountain bikers out there

02GF74 - 19/3/08 at 08:15 AM

I can do it in 8 mins as I have standardised on splined disc rotors.

it is one of the features of ebay that if someone bids £ x then it must be worth £ X so I bid £ X+1, then the other bidder thinks somene reckons it is worth £ X+1 so I bid £ X+2 , then the other bidder thinks somene reckons it is worth £ X+2 so I bid £ X+3 , then the other bidder thinks somene reckons it is worth £ X+3 so I bid £ X+4 .....

it is a wonder anything ever gets sold!!! :p