Board logo

Mini Cooper S
mike smith1 - 23/5/08 at 12:19 PM

Thinking of getting a used Cooper S as my daily Tin Top, anyone got one, any things to look out for aprart from the norm when looking at them?

Thinking either Electric Blue, White roof, mirrors and wheels

or Dark Grey

Cheers Mike

mangogrooveworkshop - 23/5/08 at 12:23 PM

My mates selling one of the last five hundred ever made.
He went self employed as a painter and decorator so he got a Hilux instead.
Its mint and is well looked after.

I will post pictures and details of it later

Humbug - 23/5/08 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
My mates selling one of the last five hundred ever made.
He went self employed as a painter and decorator so he got a Hilux instead.
Its mint and is well looked after.

I will post pictures and details of it later

??? have they stopped making them?

trogdor - 23/5/08 at 12:30 PM

think he means the orginal and proper mini, not the BMW version

coozer - 23/5/08 at 12:47 PM

Work matey here selling hers because its horrendous on petrol, chipping it in for a GTI-TDi Golf. Faster and more MPG.

Mr Whippy - 23/5/08 at 12:48 PM

like the new one is even close to the original same goes for the new beetle, what a joke...

eznfrank - 23/5/08 at 12:50 PM

Given the colour schemes mentioned I imagine he's talking about the BMW version.

I always thought they were a birds car and when the missus was desperate to go look at one i begrudgingly went along on the agreement that if we had to test drive one we at least took a Cooper S or a JCW out. 30 minute test drive later and I was signing the deposit cheque. I lover mine but at the time I wasn't actually using it that much so it was essentially an £18k ornament.

As per Whippy - on the subject of the Beetle, our lass wanted to look at them too so took one for a spin and it broke down!! Saleswoman still wanted to sit us down after and talk figures, er no thanks love, I think I'll leave it.

[Edited on 23/5/08 by eznfrank]

02GF74 - 23/5/08 at 01:07 PM

a gril at work has one - tyres are very ££££ as they are some fancy run-flat jobbies since there is no room for a spare.

Hellfire - 23/5/08 at 01:14 PM

I test drove a Cooper S sometime ago - whilst they have grunt and looks - I'm not a fan of BMW's - over rated and expensive.

I got a Seat Leon FR 170 - simply awesome.

Steve

Daimo_45 - 23/5/08 at 01:15 PM

SSSSOOOOOOOO over priced for a hatch. No boot. 4 seater. Tyres are over 100 a corner. I would have equivalent Seat or Alfa anytime.

Hammerhead - 23/5/08 at 01:36 PM

fiat 500?

Daimo_45 - 23/5/08 at 01:49 PM

Saw a lotus 2-11 2 days ago

Hellfire - 23/5/08 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
fiat 500?

When I had my Seat Leon in for a service - the dealer also has a francise with Fiat - I was looking at the new 500 - cracking little car!!! Don't think I'd buy one though...

Steve

BenB - 23/5/08 at 03:02 PM

They're replacing the supercharger on the Mini Cooper S with a turbo. Still calling it a CopperS though which seems to confuse things.... Where will everyone go to get their mini superchargers now???

eznfrank - 23/5/08 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Still calling it a CopperS though which seems to confuse things....

The alternative being to call it a "Cooper T?" (Best said in a broad Yorkshire accent) Oh yes please and I'll have a digestive too if you have any?

MikeRJ - 23/5/08 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
When I had my Seat Leon in for a service - the dealer also has a francise with Fiat - I was looking at the new 500 - cracking little car!!! Don't think I'd buy one though...

It's a great looking little car IMO but by all accounts the Panda is the better car, and cheaper.

britishtrident - 23/5/08 at 04:11 PM

With the BMW "Thing" (I can call it a Mini it is huge) a lot depends what engine is in it the original ones had Chrysler Neon engines (they kept very stumm about that) --- a bit rough the later version is more refined.

Car Mechanics magazine did feature on them a few months back seemed to be quite a few very expensive parts that failled a lot earlier in the cars life than what you might expect. after reading the article I came to the conclusion they might be an expensive money pit.

clairetoo - 23/5/08 at 04:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
The alternative being to call it a "Cooper T?" (Best said in a broad Yorkshire accent) Oh yes please and I'll have a digestive too if you have any?

No suger in mine , thanks

turbodisplay - 23/5/08 at 04:53 PM

The supercharger makes them as fuel thirsty as a4x4. They would have been in the £25 congestion tax if it weren`t for ken being booted out.

Darren

Schrodinger - 23/5/08 at 08:51 PM

I know 2 people who had them and both had ecu problems that the garages/bmw refused to deal with on warranty and they were supposed to shell out for. After a lot of haggling they did get it sorted at BMWs expense (btw one owner in suffolk one in Glasgow) both traded in as soon as they were sorted.

rusty nuts - 23/5/08 at 09:10 PM

I heard although it wasn't confirmed that a main dealer clutch replacement costs over 2 grand.

omega 24 v6 - 23/5/08 at 10:26 PM

Drove one for 10 miles and that was enough. Constantly making changes to the steering and very hard. OK for a fun car but for a long distance run it'd be a pain.