Board logo

C E C , Balance my bike carbs
vinnievector - 25/3/09 at 07:39 AM

Hi,Well seem to have the engine up and running ,and ticking over well , so now i need to fine tune .I did see on u tube a guy using balancer based on wot looked like 4 thermometer stuck together and 4 tubes going into the carbs not sure of the make .Have you guys used this and if so any tips on setting up a set of r1 carbs.
cheers

speedyxjs - 25/3/09 at 07:56 AM

If they are the mercury ones, i dont think you can get them any more.

coozer - 25/3/09 at 07:57 AM

THESE are what u need, they connect to each inlet track for the vacuum and you will very pleased when you see how much smoother the engine becomes.

My zetec will happily tick over at 550rpm after a good balancing session.

will121 - 25/3/09 at 08:23 AM

dont know if R1 carbs have vacume take offs but all i done was get about 4m of 3mm clear tube, 1m long piece of wood and some light oil, balance first carb and repeat to others (remembering to stop engine before disconnecting each time) made a hell of a differance and cost about £4!
DIY vacuum gauge

vinnievector - 25/3/09 at 09:17 AM

Truly locost idea Will and would work well i think .However i have a few quid in the pocket, rare i know in these hard times ,So have just orderd a set that cozzer recomended.

thanks for your replies.

see it dose work on here .

02GF74 - 25/3/09 at 11:05 AM

re: DIY manometer.

The one shown displays difference between two carbs;

What if the end was sealed?

Then would that work on just one carb?

The vacumm will try to suck the oil but will be prevented by the air in the tube that will act as a spring.

More likely the tube walls will collapse, unles the hose has thick wall, so use a metal or glass tube?

omega0684 - 25/3/09 at 11:56 AM

the 2003 r1 carbs that i had didn't have a vacuum take off, so you would need to get one of those ball type balancers that you put on top of the trumpet. then it gives you a value which you then adjust the screws so all the values are the same.

will121 - 25/3/09 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
re: DIY manometer.

The one shown displays difference between two carbs;

What if the end was sealed?

Then would that work on just one carb?

The vacumm will try to suck the oil but will be prevented by the air in the tube that will act as a spring.

More likely the tube walls will collapse, unles the hose has thick wall, so use a metal or glass tube?

in theory if you had a tall enough tube or use a heavy medium like mercury, you could use it open ended and read actual vacuum pulled by each carb, but bit impractical for diy, as you start with the and adjust to the carb with the fixed throttle stop, you are just measuring the difference in vacuum pulled against this fixed point and subsequent carbs, I was amazed how much difference it made to the tick over, mind you the first one was so far out it started to suck the oil over the top!