Board logo

VW LT35 Problem
kylerichmond - 29/1/11 at 05:38 PM

Hi
I need some advice on my VWLT35 109 tdi 1999
I as driving the van and noticed a noise like a leaking boost pipe as i accelerated it got higher pitched, i noticed a loss in power aswell, i have checked all the turbo pipes and no holes, therefore i suspected the turbo was failing, i also noticed my oil was low so topped this up, however as i progressed to strip the inlet manifold off to get at the turbo i noticed that one bolt was hanging out,one loose and two others at the back missing, the inlet gasket was also damaged,
very odd indeed.
There is no smoke, also it has been a little slow in starting however that maybe a glow plug off
Would this cause the loss in boost?, Would this make the noise as described?

gazza285 - 29/1/11 at 10:07 PM

Check the water to see if there is any oil in it. VW diesels are prone to cracking the heads after 90,000 miles, not quite as reliable as the adverts would have you believe.

Chippy - 29/1/11 at 11:12 PM

If the inlet manifold was loose that could make a whistling sound, which would get louder as the rev's increased. Would also make you down on power. New gasket and bolts, with a drop of locktite to stop them l falling out again, should see you OK. IMHO Ray

rusty nuts - 30/1/11 at 02:31 PM

Sounds like the inlet manifold to me as well . Worth a try