Board logo

type 9
mike2704 - 8/3/14 at 11:18 PM

Hi I have just got hold of a type 9 gearbox, flywheel and clutch, it has the longer input shaft and I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable Locoster know if you can shorten the input shaft or will I have to aquire a short shaft and strip the gearbox.
I should have mentioned this is going into a 1680 crossflow.
Thanks in anticipation Mike

snapper - 9/3/14 at 04:54 AM

If you gearbox has the larger lay shaft bearing it will have a plate below the input shaft that requires the Caterham type adaptor with the cut out

cliftyhanger - 9/3/14 at 08:06 AM

Depending on which gearbox etc the shafts are often not swappable.
On mine I paid a chappie to stick the sdhaft in a lathe and remachine it. Seemed a simple solution. However, I am short (literally) of space, and in most instances the spacer is the way to go.

rusty nuts - 9/3/14 at 08:23 AM

Might be worth checking the ratios by removing the top cover , the diesel powered Sierras used a long nose type 9 with useless ratios

Paul Turner - 9/3/14 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be worth checking the ratios by removing the top cover , the diesel powered Sierras used a long nose type 9 with useless ratios

Very true, the ratios are totally unsuitable for a seven.

But the 2.3 V6 gearbox used the same ratios as a 4 cylinder type 9 so there is another permutation to consider. No real point in using one, why spend extra to fit one when a 4 cylinder one needs no parts or machining.

Ways to check.

Take off top lid and count the teeth on the input shaft gear (the one nearest the front). A diesel and 2.3 will have 18 teeth, a 2.8 will have 19.

Then count the teeth on the rear most gear in the box, 1st gear. ALL petrol cars will have 29 teeth, if its a diesel it will have 31 teeth.

One other way to check, a V6 will have a clutch bearing support sleeve that extends to the start of the clutch splines, on a diesel the sleeve is about 1/2" short. Its not a good check since many diesels have been disguised by having a V6 sleeve fitted, only held on with 4 bolts and takes seconds to change.

WARNING: Never change gear with the lid off the box. The lid contains a support for the selector mechanism, without that support you will confuse the mechanism and its not simple to sort.

Best of luck.

mike2704 - 9/3/14 at 10:48 AM

Hi, Gearbox is out of a V6 so ratios should be ok, been looking for spacer but cant locate one, any ideas of dimensions maybe I could get one made or make one up myself i have several bell housings i could play with.
Thanks for all you suggestions Mike

dave r - 9/3/14 at 10:58 AM

pm me an email addy, can help with a drawing

Paul Turner - 9/3/14 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mike2704
Hi, Gearbox is out of a V6 so ratios should be ok,

Means nothing. Many V6's trashed their gearboxes due to enthusiastic owners and a cheap way of getting the car back on the road was to fit one out of a diesel, muck more plentiful.

quote:
Originally posted by mike2704
been looking for spacer but cant locate one,

Try Caterham, not cheap but they fit perfectly first time. Any miss-alignment caused by incorrect measuring/machining will trash the box and possibly the crank. Its not something to get wrong. How do I know, a mate tried to save money.

snapper - 9/3/14 at 03:02 PM

[/URL]

[Edited on 9/3/14 by snapper]