Board logo

Flexy exhaust pipe
ady8077 - 20/5/05 at 07:17 PM

Hi all

Has anyone used flexy exhaust pipe?

I'm thinking of re-routing my Stylus's exhaust to the rear of the car and it means a load of bends

Adrian

dave dickson - 20/5/05 at 08:04 PM

I have used it for a few jobs on "normal" cars, normally replacing rotten joint sections of the type that allow for a wee bit of movement. Its ok I suppose. A bit of a bodge in the applications I use it for, but it does the job
Be carefull welding it as its very thin in the sections between the ribs.
I am also unsure of how it will last in the long-run.
Also, it can make a hellish creaking noise as it flexes.

stevebubs - 20/5/05 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ady8077
Hi all

Has anyone used flexy exhaust pipe?

I'm thinking of re-routing my Stylus's exhaust to the rear of the car and it means a load of bends

Adrian

Yes - used it on my Fury to join the silencer to the manifold in the sill.

If it's continually in flex, then it may not last too long - my last one lasted about 1000 miles or so before it needed to be replaced. If just used as routing then I guess it should fine, but it *is* thin.

Presumably your current exhaust comes out the sill the same as mine...was wondering how you're planning on re-routing to the back of the car.

Stephen

ady8077 - 20/5/05 at 10:36 PM

Hi Stephen

Yep exhaust in cill, but its a pinto so is drivers side and a bit loud

I'm hoping it will go over the lower arm between the rear tyre and chassis and over the axle?

Adrian

NS Dev - 23/5/05 at 10:44 AM

make it with proper bends, that stuff is flipping awful!!! Flows about as well as blocking the exhaust up with a cork and looks crap to boot, as with flexi radiator hoses............do the job right to start with and use proper bends!