Board logo

Welding Stainless / alloy
dogwood - 5/10/08 at 11:07 AM

Hi
Has anyone done any welding of Stainless steel exhaust tubing with a Clark 135 hobby welder?
Also alloy welding.

I would consider my self an experienced welder,
but my attempt at welding alloy was a complete and utter disaster.
Seemed to me there wasn't enough power.
Having never welded alloy before not sure if I am correct.
Yes it was nice and clean before I started.

As for the Stainless, is it like welding mild steel? because the alloy certainly wasn't
I know I need Argon mix gas.

Any advice would be appreciated

David

cjtheman - 5/10/08 at 12:30 PM

for welding s/s a better gas to use is astec
but as far as ally i would use tig
cheers
colin

mark chandler - 5/10/08 at 12:40 PM

Your barking up the wrong tree with that machine.

Stainless and alloy require shielding with Argon.

TIG is the way to go.

Regards Mark

jamiepearson69 - 5/10/08 at 12:53 PM

You can get stainless Steel Welding Rods. I have used them in the past and they are ok. Not like welding with gas tho.
It won't be any good if your using normal steel welding rods!

dogwood - 5/10/08 at 02:00 PM

Sorry guys..
My question is , has anybody used a Clark mig 135 welder (or any other type hobby welder) to make a stainless steel exhaust system?
I need to know if it's possible and still get decent welds.
If not then I will make it out of mild steel and wrap it.
I know TIG would be better, but heyho got to make do with what I got

Cheers David

zetec7 - 5/10/08 at 03:50 PM

I haven't tried it myself yet, but my welding shop said it should make welds just as good as regular MIG on plain steel. You need to have a spool of stainless wire, of course, and I believe pure argon is the gas of choice (double-check on that, though). I did weld stainless-to-stainless with regular wire and 50/50 Argon/CO2 mix, and it worked fine. It's just that the weld itself isn't stainless...

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 5/10/08 at 04:00 PM

helishield is the gas for mig welding st/st a mix of helium and CO2,another is stain shield,be careful of those fumes long term the nickel and chromium in the st/st is very carcenegenic(cancer giving)
wayno!!

Volvorsport - 5/10/08 at 04:05 PM

yes i have , you get a neater weld with mild steel wire altho they will go rusty .

stainless wire is only a little bit stronger (for the weld) , and if set wrong makes it really spattery .

from a purely welding point it would be a no no to do it , we weld mild steel flanges to stainless tubing so its not a big problem .

Chippy - 5/10/08 at 04:52 PM

Yes, have made several with St/St tube, complete systems. I use Argoshield Lite from BOC, (not the cheapest!!). It's pretty much the same as welding mild, but I find that you need to reduce the wire feed otherwise you get big lumpy welds. Welding alloy with a MIG you derfinately need to use Argon for a neat weld, BUT, you can get it to weld using same gas as steel, it's just not very tidy, but OK if you can grind it afterwards. Cheers Ray

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 5/10/08 at 05:46 PM

try spray transfer rather than dip to avoid spatter,set your amperage roughly correct and then whilst welding adjust wirespeed with other hand until the weld goes almost silent
wayno

dogwood - 5/10/08 at 05:56 PM

Thanks for all the reply guys.
It has been most helpfull.

Didn't want to buy a load of S/Steel tube then find I couldn't weld it nicely.

I didn't know you could weld stainless to mild. You learn something new every day.
Thought I was going to have to cut out the manifold flanges in stainless.

keep up the good work

David