Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Freezing cold in North Norfolk
Steve Lovelock

posted on 29/11/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Freezing cold in North Norfolk

Yesterday I decided to take the Luego on a visit to my parents who live 125 miles north of me in London. I froze all the way there as the engine was running so cold. Whilst I am glad that during the summer the car hasn't over heated in London traffic I now realise that the trade off is no heat in the winter. So this morning I raided my Dad's garage and found a piece of hardboard which I cut up and cable tied to the grille. I have vague memories of seeing old London black cabs having a leather cover for their grilles and thought that it might work for me.

So, here's the question, do you think I will make it back to London with warm legs or will the engine over heat and die?

piddy

posted on 29/11/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think the engine will become hotter, but you won't feel any benefit. I have a heater fitted to my car and still freeze when out in this kind of weather. Several layers of clothing, hat and gloves may be the answer.
rusty nuts

posted on 29/11/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a thermostat in it , have a heater, an engine that warms up quickly and runs at a sensible temperature saving fuel and cutting down engine wear. Or keep an eye on the temperature gauge?
Paul (Notts)

posted on 29/11/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
A blanket over the legs always helps on long trips...

Paul

richard thomas

posted on 29/11/08 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
No heater in mine - just grin and bear it

Was contemplating some holes in the scuttle bulkhead to let some engine bay heat on to my shins.....wish my exhaust was on the offside!

sonic

posted on 29/11/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there
A guy i know wired a cig lighter into his dash and bought a heater blower from Halfrords and mounted it on topof the transmission tunnel behind the dash so you couldnt see it,i have got to say it kept your legs and feet nice and warm.

Thanks

COREdevelopments

posted on 29/11/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
no heater or screen in mine and gotta say its bloody cold, but then i think, what good is a heater in an open car anyway.

rob

Numb nuts

posted on 29/11/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can get really good heated clothing that can be worn as a layer under your clothing and be plugged into the vehicles electrical system keeping you nice and toasty
VERY popular with touring motor cyclists

mediabloke

posted on 30/11/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
A blanket over the legs always helps on long trips...

Paul

^^^ What he said. I drove back from Curborough to Bolton this way a few weeks back. F-f-f-flip-p-p-in' c-c-c-old-d-d, but at least I was able to talk without repeating consonants within an hour of getting home...

Another member I know (you know who you are) has a seat-cover that plugs into a cigar lighter...

rusty nuts

posted on 30/11/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Did you ever get a hood sorted Steve? Mine seems to stop a lot of buffeting over the screen but I still need to sort out some sidescreens. Have you tried wearing thermal under wear or a pair of jogging bottoms under your normal gear?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 30/11/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well I fitted the cover on the Velocity grille and drove home this afternoon. The heater did work and my left knee and hand were warmer than freezing, it was worth it. Despite 125 miles of rain and coldness I did love the drive, I felt very alive. Enclosed picture shows me departing with the grille cover which I did reduce in size during the route.

[Edited on 30/11/08 by Steve Lovelock] Rescued attachment HPIM1258a.JPG
Rescued attachment HPIM1258a.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.