Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The year is starting (again)... OPPPS
NeilP

posted on 4/8/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
The year is starting (again)... OPPPS

After limping home with the clutch stuck a month ago (with very big silly boy grins on my brother-in-laws and I's chops after a truly legendary blat) and the last two days of do-I-really-have-to-take-it-all-apart-to-do-this-yes-I-do-oh-bugger-ishness I am pleased to say that the big red monster is back on the roads.

Turned out to be a loose flywheel bolt that had unwound and jammed in the friction plate - very (very) luckily, the only damage was to the bolt head (and then not much) so all back together and a quick proving run last night.

I am still aching - I'd forgotten how hard doing big metal in a small garage was.

PLEASE, Octane, oh merciful god of petrolheads, a little sunshine....

[Edited on 5/8/2009 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

jollygreengiant

posted on 4/8/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thats good news Neil.

All being well I should be back on wheels this weekend.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 4/8/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Neil.
What have you broken this time Clive?

maartenromijn

posted on 4/8/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Neil, good to have the car running again.

But please do not complain about some hard work on LCB. This is a builder's everyday life!

Don't you feel good about yourself having found the problem and solved it?

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

jollygreengiant

posted on 4/8/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Nice one Neil.
What have you broken this time Clive?

Still sorting the sump. Took quite a while to turn my modification from a sump that wouldn't clear the starter motor (doh!) to a sieve and finally to a sump again. Done O/S/F bushes & top ball joint. Got the N/S/F to do. Modifiy alternator mounting, refit sump. Then after a week or two (of driving) I shall do the rear end.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NeilP

posted on 5/8/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh- Methinks that the dollop of bluetight and a quick nip up was not enough as after another champion blat today we have the same problem.

New flywheel bolts and some stainless spung washers methinks - Back to the garage....

If you pay peanuts...

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/8/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote

I think (IIRC) that getting the crank threads clean enough for loctite on those engines is a bit of a mission, due to the thread holes exiting in into the oils side of the crank case. Perhaps a circular locktab washer might be the order of the day.????

[Edited on 5/8/09 by jollygreengiant]

NeilP

posted on 11/8/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, flywheel bolts were fine - looks like a combination of worn release bearing, heat deformed friction plate and slipping clutch cable. So all out again, all replaced and all back on the road. Some sun this afternoon apparently so a quick proving run is in order.

Also took the opportunity to change the injectors for Omega (blue) ones and put back in the higher rated fuel pressure regulator - sounds (even) meaner on tickover so I'll let you boys and girls know the score...

Neil.

EDIT: And the score is OMFG! - Once the ECU gets out of learn mode we are going to be in tarmac ripping territory...

[Edited on 11/8/2009 by NeilP]

If you pay peanuts...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.