Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2002 B model ZX12R
progers

posted on 21/10/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes, the search starts again. But I want at least a B-model as they have stronger clutches and crankshaft.

I wouldn't get hung up on the B being a stronger engine. From the evidence of the ZX12r's I've seen racing the A models are just as robust as the B models. In fact the A models have simpler wiring and are known to produce a bit more power. I personally run an A1 engine in my RGB race car. The 2008 and 2009 Class A champions in RGB also ran A engines so I doubt that there is a reliability problem you need to be overly concerned with.

Just go for the best condition motor you can find.

- Paul

Hellfire

posted on 21/10/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Some ZX12R model history from an old post of mine.

The ZX12R was launched in 2000, this particular model is known as the A1 model. This was the only model that is derestricted for top speed as standard. All later models are restricted to 186mph, although models upto 2003 can be de-restricted with a Muzzy Bonneville Box.

The A models made in 2000 & 2001 (A1-A2) have a lighter crank than the 2002 -2005 models (B1-B4). The lighter crank helps the engine to spin up quicker, but it also increases engine braking. Kawasaki beefed up the crank in the B models which makes them smoother to drive with less engine braking, thereby maintaining engine speed through corners off the throttle.

In 2001, the ZX12R got different cams and different throttle boots along with the electronic limiter (186mph). All else remained the same. The 2001's were said to make the same top end power but have a little more grunt in midrange.

In 2002, the ZX12R got a major revamp. These are the 2nd generation 12's (The B models). The important engine upgrades for BEC's are the heavier crank and oval throttle pulley.

In 2003, the engine remained the same.

In 2004 the ZX12R got a few more upgrades:
Secondary throttle blades (probably slows the airflow but smooths out throttle response)
New fuel/timing map in the ECU and 32bit instead of 16

2005, same as 2004.

The differences between the A and B models is said to be definately noticable. The B model is smoother, and easier to control on the throttle mid corner. The A model was however more 'raw' but not any quicker.

You'll not go wrong with any model of ZX12R but IMO, the 2004 & 2005 engines are slightly more refined.

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.