Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stiffening chassis?
sebastiaan

posted on 17/1/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just to follow-up on this; I've since stripped the car back a bit, ordered some additional steel tubing and plan om doing this:

It's designed to tie the two bulkheads together and use the additional strenght and stiffness to channel some of the loads into the transmission tunnel (which I might end up triangulating as well). The "double R braces actually go down to the rear pick up points of the top wishbones as that way they clear the alternator & manifolds and that is of course also where the loads are introduced into the chassis. Together with triangulating the front suspension box these mods should provide a decent increase in torsional stiffness. If I wil actually notice this on the road I do not know, but I will report back once the car is back on the road.

At the rear, there is some additional bracing going in to stiffen up the rear suspension box (where the diff sits) as this is just a square box with no appreciable triangulation (and a couple of pre-failed tubes, LOL) as standard.

And let me stress AGAIN that the car is perfectly suited to the odd blat out on the open road, I just want to see if I can improve things a bit. Here's hoping I don't mess it up

sebastiaan

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Right, it's been a few months....

I just took the Indy out for a first drive after the winter mods. I ended up adding just one R-brace to the passenger's side and making the top panel for the footwell on that side structural (bonded and riveted on). Effectively, this mimicks the BEC setup for the old MK Indy chassis.

In addition, I triangulated the "suspension box" on both sides, adding diagonals from the rear mounting point of the top wishbones to the opposite corner in the very front lower corners of the chassis. Also added a V-brace behind the rad.

And, does it drive any better?

It seems it actually does, although this is of course very subjective. It's also been quite some time since I last drove the car. But to me, it seems like the car actually self-centres a bit better and that it is more stable over bumpy surfaces. It also seems that some of the rattles and squeeks are gone.

In all, I'm quite happy I did these mods. To further improve the self centering, I might fit some haynes roadster top wishbones as these should fit and increase caster by some 2 degrees.

Hope this helps for some of you....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.