Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis. Which is best and why?
rodgling

posted on 27/8/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garybee
I'm going to go the other way to everyone else and say...NOT a Ginetta G27

It is absolutely awful. It's so bad that I actually had to cut out the section between the rear suspension turrets and weld in something that I would be happy to bolt my seat belts to (original was simply not safe). As for the rest of it, one day I will give the car a full roll cage and a proper transmission tunnel to give it some shred of rigidity.

Interesting, I think the GKD chassis is loosely derived from a Ginetta and it looks pretty over-engineered to me, if anything. Not that I know very much about chassis design mind.

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
One of the problems with square tubes is when under torsion you get nasty stress concentrations at corners where the tube meets another tube at welded joints, however in any decently design space frame this should not be a problem.

[Edited on 27/8/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

phelpsa

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
PS - I found this thread when searching for 'torsional rigidity'.

I see the Quantum Xtreme (of which I have a renewed vested interest in) has a torsional stiffness in excess of 4000nm. What would be the norm for a typical 7-style spaceframe?

Probably nowhere near that, but why do you need that sort of stiffness?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:

I see the Quantum Xtreme (of which I have a renewed vested interest in) has a torsional stiffness in excess of 4000nm. What would be the norm for a typical 7-style spaceframe?

To allow the suspension to do it's job.

mcerd1

posted on 28/8/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

or to get on the road down under with a 4cyl engine
(I think its 6000Nm/deg for V8's )

if you google for folk who have imported to / built cars in Oz you'll see a lot of talk about torsional stiffness

[Edited on 28/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 28/8/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Without resorting to Google, what sort of torsional stiffness do modern tin tops and their cabriolet versions achieve?

A quick Google suggests a figure of 35,000Nm/degree for the Lamborghini Aventador. Obviously the high end of the scale

[Edited on 28/8/13 by nick205]

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/8/13 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
The chassis on my series landrover (109) is pretty strong, and that's only 2.5mm box section. There's no round tube on it, just a simple ladder frame. Really needs the suspension upgrading, with pickup points for wishbones (wishbones will have to be fabricated as well, etc.). With a good Pinto engine, still the ultimate powerplant after all these decades, should be all you would want.

Tube size and strength:

If the wall thickness of a tube is increased then the ability to support bending loads increases by the same amount. If the wall thickness is doubled then the ability to support bending loads is also doubled.

If the size of a tube is increased then the ability to support bending loads is increased by the square of the increase in size and the tube stiffness is improved by the cube of the increase in size. If the diameter of a tube is doubled then the load carrying ability for bending loads is improved four times and the stiffness under bending loads is increased by eight times.

Due to these effects larger sized tubes with thinner walls are usually better than smaller thick walled tubes of the same overall weight.

mcerd1

posted on 28/8/13 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Due to these effects larger sized tubes with thinner walls are usually better than smaller thick walled tubes of the same overall weight.

but if you go too thin the tubes can be easily damaged - and a bent/dented tube is not much use to anyone

-

PhillipM

posted on 29/8/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not sure, but they all seem kinda low, our buggy tested out at well over 36,000nm/degree when it was first built.

scootz

posted on 29/8/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM
quote:

Not sure, but they all seem kinda low, our buggy tested out at well over 36,000nm/degree when it was first built.

Was it machined from titanium billet!

It's Evolution Baby!

PhillipM

posted on 29/8/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Titanium isn't very stiff, just fyi
phelpsa

posted on 29/8/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

No you don't. You need a certain level of stiffness to allow weight transfer balance control, but the suspension will work quite nicely with very little torsional stiffness. I'm just asking the question, what makes you think that that level of stiffness is required? Not saying it isn't, just asking why!

In reply to the question about modern tin tops, numbers in the region of 10,000Nm/deg are common these days for the chassis, which is very good. This mostly to reduce NVH though, and all the compliance in suspension bushes means that hub to hub torsional stiffness isn't that brilliant.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 29/8/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM
Titanium isn't very stiff, just fyi

Depends how you use it...

PhillipM

posted on 29/8/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
With my budget?
About the only place I can use it is in my razor

MikeRJ

posted on 30/8/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

No you don't. You need a certain level of stiffness to allow weight transfer balance control, but the suspension will work quite nicely with very little torsional stiffness. I

I strongly disagree. How do you damp the motion where the chassis is twisting rather than springs compressing/extending?

TheGiantTribble

posted on 30/8/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Raises head above the parapit...

You choose your suspension settings to work with how stiff or not your chassis is

In older racing cars, the drivers would 'read' the twisting of the cars as they went round corners.
The tyre pressure and suspension settings/stiffness were all softer so as to work with (or because of) the lack of chassis stiffness.

eg

In a modern formula one car, 50 percent of movement is in the tyres...you need a very stiff chassis to make this work.
In say a 1960's Formula one car, much less stiff chassis in fact almost jelly....lots of suspension movement (and a lot more fun to watch it all working IMHO)

Drops rapidly back behind shelter.

Camber Dave

posted on 10/9/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Square Vs Round tube

I am building mine with 25mm square main tubes as per the book. So easy to fit floor and sides.
But for the side diagonals I am using 19mm round tube flush with the outer face.
I used 2 diagonals for each 'box' with a tricky joint in the middle.
This gives a bigger weld area into the corners to fully triangulate the sides.
I will just Sikaflex the panels to the round tubes as they will be riveted and glued around their edges.

Bumble

posted on 10/9/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dutton is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.