Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Started....but not anymore....`
JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I was taught to clean SU piston and dash pot with brake fluid 50 years ago, it still works and is cheaper than carb cleaner. Clearances between pistons and dash pots are critical and as BT points out never use any abrasives.

You guys reckon I have ruined the carb then?

It wasn't an all over harsh sand, it was just to get the muck off the surface with 2500 paper

[Edited on 15/4/16 by JamesyCottony]

[Edited on 15/4/16 by JamesyCottony]

mark chandler

posted on 15/4/16 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
You will not have done it any favours, but not all may be lost.

Anyway, depending on the carb it may have a lifting pin on the underside which raises the piston slightly when pushed, little rod, Spring and circlip if not use a screwdriver to lift the piston 1/4" when idling.

If the revs increase it is running to rich so back out the mixture screw, to weak and the revs will drop, set correctly and the revs may rise slightly or stay the same.

If it stalls or does not Rev cleanly when you crack open the throttle the oil in the dashpot is to thin so try a heavier grade.

JamesyCottony

posted on 16/4/16 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
You will not have done it any favours, but not all may be lost.

Anyway, depending on the carb it may have a lifting pin on the underside which raises the piston slightly when pushed, little rod, Spring and circlip if not use a screwdriver to lift the piston 1/4" when idling.

If the revs increase it is running to rich so back out the mixture screw, to weak and the revs will drop, set correctly and the revs may rise slightly or stay the same.

If it stalls or does not Rev cleanly when you crack open the throttle the oil in the dashpot is to thin so try a heavier grade.

How much do I fill the dashpot? Also surely not much damage was done as it still runs? And when I Rev it (after it dies then picks up) it sounds really nice

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/4/16 at 05:02 AM Reply With Quote
Have you topped the damper oil up? (20/50 oil best, thinner oil reduces the enrichment, thicker increases it)
Lead additives don't contain lead (ok, a couple do but hard to find, even if they are still available) most contain a brew of other stuff that hopefully does the same job as lead, but do your research as to which ones work. There was some proper lab tests a few years ago, IIRC the castrol one was OK. And another which I can't remember. Most others did nothing very much.

But as I said, these cars will run for years with no issues as the seats harden up with lead memory from when leaded fuel was about. Our mini has been with us for several years, never used additives. Head off recently, no recession at all and no sign of unleaded seats either.

JamesyCottony

posted on 16/4/16 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
How much oil goes in the dashpot and where does it go? In the small hole and to the top?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/4/16 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
The oil to the dash pot going in the top unscrew the cap on the top of the carb you only need a tiny bit of oil in it 20/50 is best but 10/40 will work ok .is it idling now if so make sure it hasn't got any air leaks around the carb and inlet manifold spray carb cleaner/ wd40 around the area if the revs change you may have an air leak ,also worth putting the area you live as I'm sure there would be someone locally on here that could take a look .

[Edited on 16/4/16 by ian locostzx9rc2]

JamesyCottony

posted on 16/4/16 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
The oil to the dash pot going in the top unscrew the cap on the top of the carb you only need a tiny bit of oil in it 20/50 is best but 10/40 will work ok .is it idling now if so make sure it hasn't got any air leaks around the carb and inlet manifold spray carb cleaner/ wd40 around the area if the revs change you may have an air leak ,also worth putting the area you live as I'm sure there would be someone locally on here that could take a look .

[Edited on 16/4/16 by ian locostzx9rc2]

I live near Chichester

I put some 20W50 in the dashpot and had to put my hand over the inlet to start it again.... and idle was rough and it kept on dying. I then (while it was running) adjusted the mixture and the revs raised, it became smoother and when i put throttle on its revs nicely and draws air in nicely, seem to be pretty sweet.

It got to temperature, the fan then kicked in

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/4/16 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you have got it running
JamesyCottony

posted on 16/4/16 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have noticed like a light brown sludge stuff coming into the coolant tank, would this just be old sludge that has built up due to lack of running? It's not sitting on the top, oil on dipstick looks nice
mark chandler

posted on 16/4/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Probably just rubbish coming through, skim it off.

SU's are very clever devices, much underrated.

Once warmed up do as I suggested above, air filter off you can see the piston sitting just off its seat with engine vacumn, using a flat bladed screw driver insert in the gap between the body and piston and gently twist to lift the piston by 1/4" and if set correctly the revs may rise slightly or stay the same.

JamesyCottony

posted on 16/4/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Probably just rubbish coming through, skim it off.

SU's are very clever devices, much underrated.

Once warmed up do as I suggested above, air filter off you can see the piston sitting just off its seat with engine vacumn, using a flat bladed screw driver insert in the gap between the body and piston and gently twist to lift the piston by 1/4" and if set correctly the revs may rise slightly or stay the same.

When the engine was spluttering the revs didn't move at all when I did what you suggested. Will try later on when I get home

Thankyou everyone for your help so far

britishtrident

posted on 16/4/16 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
10w/40 oil as 20w/50 causes problems in winter weather

Autotrans oil also works

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.