Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bringing Engine out of Hibernation
Ferrino

posted on 27/11/08 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Bringing Engine out of Hibernation

Hi all. It's been a while since I last posted here as I moved abroad and put my BEC 7 ('99 carbed R1) into hibernation. I am planning to fire her up after what will have been ~18 months standing in a garage and was wondering if you have any tips on what to be careful of before starting?

Something I neglected to do before I put her to sleep was to drain the carbs of all residual fuel, so I am guessing that I will need to give the innards (jets etc.) a very thorough clean to remove gummed up deposits. Does anyone have any tips for this, please? I guess an airline would be useful for blowing gunk out.

I'm also trying to recall my procedure when starting the engine for the first time - e.g. disconnecting coils and cranking her over without sparks to build up oil pressure...

Thanks in advance!

speedyxjs

posted on 27/11/08 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just put loads of carb cleaner in and leave it for a few hours
Danozeman

posted on 27/11/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt think theyd be that gunked up after 18months Drain the bowls so they fill with nice fresh fuel.

Id pull the plugs out and put a bit of oil down the bore and crank a couple of times to get the oil pressure up. The plugs in and away you go.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

wilkingj

posted on 27/11/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... I would put a bit of oil down the bores to give some lube.

I woud crank the engine over, with no spark plugs to get the oil pumped round the engine before firing up.

Also agree with washing out the carbs.
Scrap all the petrol in the tank, and fill with fresh, as the higher order spirits tend to evaporate off and make it difficult to start.

Another tip is to waft some propane gas into the air box, as it will start on that easier than poor petrol! Jst be careful of any fire hazard etc.

DONT rev the bollox off it untill you have got full oil pressure, and its been running for a several minutes.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 27/11/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
I wouldnt think theyd be that gunked up after 18months Drain the bowls so they fill with nice fresh fuel.

Id pull the plugs out and put a bit of oil down the bore and crank a couple of times to get the oil pressure up. The plugs in and away you go.

I'd second this though I dont think I'd even bother draining the carbs, they may have evaporated off to some extent, try it seee what happens it won't hurt, then as said, just take it easy until all seems well

Ferrino

posted on 29/11/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.