Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: good SVA fail at southampton
DanP

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
good SVA fail at southampton

Just got back to Portsmouth now from Southampton, have driven a total of 50 miles in windscreenless, roofless car in some of the wettest weather we've had all year, I think i'm as wet and cold as I've ever been but I've been grinning all the way!

Had a really nice pair of testers, whole thing was a totally pleasant affair, no problems with the interior and only 2 on the exterior, fails points were:

No spring washer on front caliper bolts
Speedo was not playing ball (reed switch was bouncing so it was counting too many pulses),
Radius on harness mount bosses at the bottom
Need some oversize washers on the steering rack
Bias bar wasn't quite pinned to their liking
Bootlid needs a retaing catch (I had taken the lock out for the radius test!)
Engine was running quite rich so failed the emissions despite being tested on 1979 standards!
Some trim needed adding on exhaust cut out
Headlight brackets wobbled so need a better clamp

wilkingj

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well thats not too bad a fail.

All do-able.

Its a bit of a b*gger in a Se7en when its inclement weather.
Been caught in a cloudburst up the A1 going to the Newark show (in summer) a couple of years ago. Its not nice!.
Let alone with near freezing conditions.

I take my hat off to you and bow lowly infront of you!

Well done... It should pass next time. Just take care to get it all spot on. Especially the emissions.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DanP

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Geoff, I think the emissions should be solved when set the timing right., hopefully! The rest i'm gonna start tackling once I've warmed up sufficiently!
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Dan
Thats not bad at all is it.

Ive got mine booked in on the 11th march, i take it the front wheel arches were ok then?

Would it be possible for you to come and have a look over my car at some point to see what i need to do/cover for the test? i would cover the costs

Tommy

pewe

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one - counts as a good fail.
Braver man than I driving it there.
I got over the ex. cut out radius (one of Marc's favourites) by buying some ali. tube from B&Q cutting a seam out of it then cutting across the diameter every 20mm or so then bending and sticking it on with exhaust paste.
Good luck with the re-test.
Cheers, Pewe

DanP

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Tommy,

I made up some extensions for the front out of a wheel arch liner I got from a scrappy, the back didn't need anything but it wouldve been useful to keep the spray off me.

Deffo make sure your battery is upto the job as you will have to start your car up a lot.

I'm not exactly an expert but I'll gladly nip over to give you a hand one Saturday if you like, just let me know when's good and I'll check when I can make it.

Cheers
Dan

wilkingj

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP
Cheers Tommy,
I made up some extensions for the front out of a wheel arch liner I got from a scrappy, the back didn't need anything but it wouldve been useful to keep the spray off me.
Cheers
Dan

Now you understand why the guards need to be so low. I have yet to take my oil can extensions off. I really must make some new ones so they look better.

no problems without a windscreen. Just get a full face helmet and some bike gear. Thats what I did.
I wne to the BMF Bike show - Frank Thomas Reject tent - Got it all for under £100, and it was all new kit as well.

Good luck with the re-test.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 9/2/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Glad your happy about that fail. Bit puzzled over the spring washer on the calipers though. OEM's don't have em and I didn't have them on mine....

[Edited on 9/2/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DanP

posted on 9/2/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
the bolts have to be shakeproof either with locktite or spring washers apparently.

Dan

nick205

posted on 9/2/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an easily resolved list

Had my SVA test & retest at Southampton with a tester called Mark - top bloke, very good at explaining exactly what he was looking for and what would be acceptable on the fail points. I had a similar niggle list including headlamp aim which he even helped me set correctly with the test equipment.

Good luck with the retest - hopefully you'll get a dry day next time

02GF74

posted on 9/2/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Glad your happy about that fail. Bit puzzled over the spring washer on the calipers though. OEM's don't have em and I didn't have them on mine....

cortina uprights used lock tabs.

Danozeman

posted on 9/2/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad fail mate. i too am confued about the caliper bolts. Mine have nothing and he didnt question it. You should have said there was locktite on them.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/2/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP
the bolts have to be shakeproof either with locktite or spring washers apparently.

Dan

Congrats, 'I think' on the fail, not a lot there. However, the only bit that confuses me is the caliper bolts, yes I know the reason, but the standard original bolts aren't long enough to take washer's and how are they going to know about thread lock unless they/you undo them, and, does that/that does also apply to the caliper pins.

Just starting to fill out (& send off my mid to end off week) my application, now I have money in the bank again.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NeilP

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Dan - Only a few minors to resolve and you are on the road I predict...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

rusty nuts

posted on 10/2/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Dan, I was with Geoff on the A1 to Newark and know whats it's like in a monsoon. Give your column switches a squirt of WD40 , both Geoff and I have had problems with them after the soaking we had.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.