Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Morons taking up 2 parking spaces
DarrenW

posted on 11/2/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Morons taking up 2 parking spaces

i know its been done before, but before it didnt really bother me. After reading the post on it 6 months ish ago it now does, so i thought id post again.

Last Saturday, busy shopping centre, not many spaces about yet people still insist on parking at an angle or right on the white lines. i was in our little old pug. Range Rover was on the line (well actually over ita touch). I parked mine as close as possible to it and got out other side. Plan didnt work though as i was first back! There were loads of others badly parked too.

Best one i saw was at Gateshead Ikea on Sunday. Right through the middle of the park is a zebra crossing - a very good one at that. I parked in parent and toddler bay near the zebra crossing. Of course there is a hatched zone between me and the crossing (to allow doors to be opened and pushchairs deployed etc.) A car decided to park half on the hatched bit and half on the crossing!

And why do people with no kids insist on using the parent and toddler spaces? They obviously dont realise how hard it is be forced to use std spaces and then have to contort yourself to keep door half open and stop it clattering the car next door whilst wrestling with a semi-demonic 3 year old to clamp them in the seat whilst trying to find the belt clip. All whilst getting ripped to pieces both mentally and verbally, let alone fasten it. Then squeeze yourself back out of the slim gap whilst being kicked and having hair ripped out by the roots to eventually get the door shut and breath a sigh of relief. Then squeeze yourself back into front seat to hear that fateful - CLICK - followed by ever so annoying giggle as you turn around and see the belt has been removed again. At least that is better than setting off then hearing the click by which time you are in the mother of all traffic queues moving slowly at a pace that prevents you from stopping and refitting the belt around ones lovely angelic child.
But i digress. maybe we should have some paper stickers made up with super strength adhesive so we can put one on windscreen of offending cars when they are spotted. Something nice like " Please learn to park" on it. A very bright colour of course.

[Edited on 11/2/09 by DarrenW]

martyn_16v

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be that polite

Parking is one of my pet hates, I just don't see why people can't do it. If you're incapable of controlling a car sufficiently to put it between some lines reasonably straight then you shouldn't have driven the fecking thing there at all.

My little cul-de-sac is a nightmare, but only because none of my neighbours can park to save their lives. There is rom outside our block of houses to park 4 cars if everyone parks in a sensible place, but when it's empty the first person back generally whaps theirs right in the middle (effectively taking the centre two spaces), meaning you can only get 3 cars in but with 6ft between each one. It's also a narrow road, you have to park up on the pavement to leave enough space for a car to park, but some people don't seem to grasp this and park in the middle of the road even when it's full and you can clearly see how everyone else has done it. It's not as if it's just 'a bit tight', when people do this they're only leaving about 4ft wide of road free!

Mind you, the worst one was at the flats i used to live in, one old codger couldn't even manage to drive his rover straight into a bay, he'd just abandon it (literally) wherever he ended up. Once it was at 45 degrees in front of my garage, 4 inches from the garage door and completely blocking vehicle access to the whole block. It got moved by my van that day. The weekly 'you've graduated from the Stevie Wonder School of Parking' notes pritt-sticked to his windscreen didn't make much difference.

Of course, it's rarely about competence, and generally about pure selfishness/laziness. I just don't understand the mindset that allows people to walk away from a badly/inconsiderately parked car, glance back at it and think 'fuck em, that'll do'

Peteff

posted on 11/2/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Years ago a friend of ours was blocked in by someone in a Mini. He had two of his mates in with him so they bumped it out of the way and drove out then manhandled it into the space he'd just left with the back wheels on the small wall round the car park.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 11/2/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Martyn - youve hit the nail on the head. Laziness or lack of talent. Maybe most of us are just too considerate and expect others to be the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Years ago a friend of ours was blocked in by someone in a Mini. He had two of his mates in with him so they bumped it out of the way and drove out then manhandled it into the space he'd just left with the back wheels on the small wall round the car park.

LMAO. Brilliant story. Id love to have seen the owners face.

smart51

posted on 11/2/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I want a special thin car that will fit in the remainder of the space with just 1cm gap to their driver's door. Selfish, that's what it is.
chrisg

posted on 11/2/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I used to live down a narrow cul-de-sac where everybody parked either side, leaving just enough space for a car to get through,

One day my neighbours garage caught fire.

The fire engine arrived and couldn't get down the road. Five burley firemen jumped out and gleefull put an axe through the drivers window of every car that was blocking the road, and pushed them out of the way.

More people seemed to use their driveways after that!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

YQUSTA

posted on 11/2/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
we have the same problem at work.

For some reason the sales guys in the range rovers believe that they need 2 spaces or they cant get out the door.

So as above I park right next to thier drivers door.

They know who I am but strangly never complain.

I even told 1 to buy a car he could drive and park in the correct manner he didnt take kindly to that comment

[Edited on 11/2/09 by YQUSTA]

coozer

posted on 11/2/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Pure selfishness in my book, same as the ignorant bastards who park in the disabled bays outside Durham Tesco's, not just there but as I come out and walk past them you can see how many haven't got the required bit of cardboard.

Mine you there are some who get out of cars with stickers who can walk better than me! But thats something else...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 11/2/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Our office is in a building with a loooong narrow drive. About half-way down the parking space alignment changes from 'along the drive' to 'across the drive', and each takes up about half the width (if you see what I mean).

Anyway, someone in the building has a ginormous Audi 4WD thing - when he parks in his space there's about a metre hanging out into the driveway. That thing is a ridiculous size!

With any luck a delivery lorry may persuade him to buy a shorter vehicle (or it BECOMES a shorter vehicle! )

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/2/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And why do people with no kids insist on using the parent and toddler spaces?

Maybe they do this just to get their own back on all the parents that just blatantly fling there doors open smacking yours like they are entitled to do it because they have a child? You chose to have the child, so don't inflict it on me.
Nah, I am with you really. If I see a car with a child seat in then i just won't park there partly because I don't want my door dinking but the drivers more than likely going to be juggling. It's a bit like the disable thing where it says "this vehicle needs at least 6 feet leaving free behind", you just have to switch on on be more courteous.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/2/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used to live beside the A14 outside Cambridge , came home one evening to find some rep parked in the lay by outside the house parked so I couldn't park behind or in front without blocking a driveway. When asked if he could just move forward so I could park he told me I would have to wait. Parked my camper van as close to his rear bumper as I could and park dads Volvo close to the front bumper. Went in and had my evening meal then took the dog for his walk , by this tome he was raving . After walking the dog for 3/4 hr he was going to call the police , was told the nearest phone was 3 miles in either direction (this was before mobiles were common) I then went and had a shower before going out for the evening when I moved the camper. I bet he didn't ever tell anybody they would have to wait again!
NigeEss

posted on 11/2/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a black permanent marker to leave my parking comments on the knobs windscreen

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

clairetoo

posted on 11/2/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Some thoughtless g*t once parked a DHL delivery van blocking my drive - with just a bit of lock left on it - so I just nudged up to the back , and pushed it clear with my own van .
Sadly this left it allmost blocking the road
I then went inside and phoned all the DHL numbers I could got off the `net and complained about one of their vans being abandoned in a dangerous position
It never happened again , and not one of my neighbours ever mentioned the incident......or ever blocked my driveway again

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

David Jenkins

posted on 11/2/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Claire...

Remind me never to argue with you!

mookaloid

posted on 11/2/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Some thoughtless g*t once parked a DHL delivery van blocking my drive - with just a bit of lock left on it - so I just nudged up to the back , and pushed it clear with my own van .
Sadly this left it allmost blocking the road
I then went inside and phoned all the DHL numbers I could got off the `net and complained about one of their vans being abandoned in a dangerous position
It never happened again , and not one of my neighbours ever mentioned the incident......or ever blocked my driveway again

Scary Lady

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Steve P

posted on 12/2/09 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

But i digress. maybe we should have some paper stickers made up with super strength adhesive so we can put one on windscreen of offending cars when they are spotted. Something nice like " Please learn to park" on it. A very bright colour of course.

[Edited on 11/2/09 by DarrenW]

i have some in the car/van all the time,

Something along the lines of: Thanks for parking so F**king close you moron, Next time leave me a can opener so i can get in the car, PPL like you should take the Bus.

handyandy

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
i used to live opposite a primary school, i came home from work ( 6-2 shift ) to find a car parked ON MY bloody drive, it was school pick up time ( not moaning about kids etc, i have three of my own ) no sight of owner of said car so i parked broadside across my drive & so blocking the car from reversing off my drive, i went into house & took dogs out for a TWO hour walk.
came back & there was a woman sat in her car waiting for my return.
i just said if you pay my council tax then you can use my drive now pi$$ off. she didn,t utter a word, never happened again, i think word got around what i did to the school run brigade.

smart51

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
i used to live opposite a primary school, i came home from work ( 6-2 shift ) to find a car parked ON MY bloody drive, it was school pick up time ( not moaning about kids etc, i have three of my own ) no sight of owner of said car so i parked broadside across my drive & so blocking the car from reversing off my drive, i went into house & took dogs out for a TWO hour walk.

That's a bit much if there were primary age kids with her. Making a statement is fine. Taking it out on the driver could be seen as fair, but did it have to be 2 hours? Did you have to take it out on the kids as well?

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:

That's a bit much if there were primary age kids with her. Making a statement is fine. Taking it out on the driver could be seen as fair, but did it have to be 2 hours? Did you have to take it out on the kids as well?

I mind someone parking their white Arnold Clark van on our shared drive. Dragged it like a paper bag with the JCB and a sling onto one of the side roads nearby and left it there, never got any complaints, think they just wondered what could have moved it with the handbrake on

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 12/2/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy, do you have a list of the vehicles you own that I could just look over with awe?

Craig

handyandy

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

sorry should have given more detail, the car on my drive was a repeat offender, she was known to the residents that lived either side of me cos she had done the same to them also, we ( the three residents affected) had gone to the school to politely bring the situation to their attention in the previous few weeks, they had a polite word with the driver, but she obviously took no notice, she had her chance, the problem driver lived less than 800 m from the school, on the side of the road i lived which was opposite the school there were no yellow zig zag lines as there were on the school side.
when i returned home she was in her car alone ( no kids ), i,m an easy going person & will give anyone the benefit of doubt but when someone is obviously taking the pi$$ then why should i not react? she in a legal term was tresspassing, as she had been told not to do it again previously.
smart51, i do understand your point on who i took my action against, as said i have three kids of my own, the said driver didn,t give any concern to anyone.
cheers
andy
like said earlier, it never happened again.

smart51

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
sorry should have given more detail, the car on my drive was a repeat offender, she was known to the residents that lived either side of me cos she had done the same to them also, we ( the three residents affected) had gone to the school to politely bring the situation to their attention in the previous few weeks, they had a polite word with the driver, but she obviously took no notice, she had her chance, the problem driver lived less than 800 m from the school, on the side of the road i lived which was opposite the school there were no yellow zig zag lines as there were on the school side.
when i returned home she was in her car alone ( no kids ), i,m an easy going person & will give anyone the benefit of doubt but when someone is obviously taking the pi$$ then why should i not react? she in a legal term was tresspassing, as she had been told not to do it again previously.
smart51, i do understand your point on who i took my action against, as said i have three kids of my own, the said driver didn,t give any concern to anyone.
cheers
andy

I think she deserved it then, if she's ignored warnings from the school. Fair enough.

handyandy

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
cheers
andy

I think she deserved it then, if she's ignored warnings from the school. Fair enough.

fair point you made tho, smart51, i,ll be honest tho, i did feel guilty a little but felt the point to this driver had to be made.
smiles .... sometimes i,m too nice & get the whizz taken when i turn blind eye to things.
cheers
andy

MikeR

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
This sort of thing always reminds me about a story told regarding a director from a few years ago. Got this from someone who lived in his village.

Bear in mind he was #3 or #4 in the world for a while at his martial art. He'd also been banned from performing at exhibitions with his sword due to letting some bloke who claimed to be almost as good as bruce lee take part in a demonstration - after they sewed his stomach up he was ok!!!!

Anyway, some rep did the parking in front of his drive trick. He went up to him and explained that he'd need to leave in 10 minutes so would he mind moving his car - rep on phone waved him away. 10 minutes later bloke was stood outside his car talking on the phone. He was asked to move & he waved director away in an unfriendly manner. Director hit him once. Moved his unconscious body to the side of the pavement, put him in the recovery position. Took the car keys, moved the car, locked the car, returned the car keys and went on his way.

No idea how true it is ........ but I sort of believe it, esp after the bloke spent a number of weeks in hospital after crashing drag racing.

adam1985

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
i always park the furthest away on shops carpark because no one else parks near my car then but if i have to park in a space normally i take 2 space on purpose because there is that many in considerate people who open there doors on yours and leave you with a nice little dent i always check the side of my car before i get in aswell
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.