Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Use & Abuse or Love & Cherish
Meeerrrk

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Use & Abuse or Love & Cherish

i love & cherish all cars i have ever owned, but recently i have started to think i might start to just use & abuse the locost becuase thats what its for, how do you view & treat yours?

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Meeerrrk]

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

flak monkey

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
A bit of both I suppose.

It gets driven in anger, in all weathers some of the time.

It also spends a lot of time being pampered though...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Guinness

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the use and abuse category I'm afraid.

I decided early on that I suffer enough depreciation on the tin top, worry and stress about parking dings, kerbing the wheels etc.

The locost is fun, just fun. If that means it gets mucky / bent / blown up, then so be it.

Last time I was out in mine, the roads where really muddy. And it was too cold to wash it before I put it away, so there it sits, covered from top to bottom in mud, just waiting for the next dry day!

I did find an extra 1,000 rpm on every upshift recently! Using earplugs really improves your 0-60 time. Might decrease engine life though!

I have been known to wash it occasionally, and even waxed / polished it once.

It is kept on an optimate type charger, with a full tank of gas, taxed and insured at all times, ready to abuse!

Mike

Marlon

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's Always clean, pollished and looked after. It's even driven half sensibly when swmbo is in but does get let loose when on my own in it. Oh what fun, Roll on the next dry day when I can take it out!

john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

Maradona

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I abuse i confess. Be honest, there isn t better feeling, stay with the red ligth in the semaphore, an start pushing the acelerator hard and doing a nice burnout !!!! is a great feeling !!!"

Diego,
The locost builder from Argentina

bob tatt

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
i use and abuse then every winter it gets fully stripped chassis repainted and everything cleaned, i find stuff tends to last a little longer this way and i can spend the good weather abusing it at every oppertunity. even driven back from the lakes on the m6 with heavy rain no screen and no helmet after my mate drove off with it in his car. funny thing was i looked like i had sunburn on my forehead the next day never knew rain burn existed till that day.
x_flow57

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Used and abused already and planning as much thrashing as possible (preferably on the track) but with plenty of spanner checks and servicing in between.
Nick

rusty nuts

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob tatt
funny thing was i looked like i had sunburn on my forehead the next day never knew rain burn existed till that day.

That why I keep a bottle of factor 30 in the car. Use and abuse and a little TLC sometimes

clairetoo

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mine definitely gets used - and I suppose if you regard revving a V6 to 80000 then it does get abused
I was intending to tidy the bodywork this winter.........ho hum

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

nick205

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
The Indy gets used hard, but looked after as well. IMHO you can use a car hard, but with a dose of mechancal sympathy

Always used to cherish my tin tops, particularly the 205 GTIs which TBH got more attention, cash and time than SWMBO

Since taking on company cars a few years ago I have (and I feel bad about this for the car's sake) moved firmly into the use & abuse, abuse, abuse category. Drive it hard, harder, hardest and let the garage sort it out

mark chandler

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Abused.

Teach it what to expect so it knows what to deliver.

Not so worried about how it looks now its built, I spend time developing the handling and power.

Danozeman

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say both. I look after my tin top although it does get thrashed now and again. Usually when im late for work.

My Locost well. I have succeeded in sorting my running trouble tonight and i have just abused it. I built it to be a fun car so abuse it will get. Maybe tlc when wifes in.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I'm in the use and abuse category I'm afraid.

I decided early on that I suffer enough depreciation on the tin top, worry and stress about parking dings, kerbing the wheels etc.

I'm looking after the 'new' tin-top a bit better (its still worth a couple of k)

I'm not that fussy about cosmetic things, not because of depreciation, but because my cars are already worthless

[Edited on 16/2/09 by mcerd1]

speedyxjs

posted on 16/2/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I love and cherish all my cars but there is always the need to get a bit sideways when there is no-one around

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Meeerrrk

posted on 16/2/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
I love and cherish all my cars but there is always the need to get a bit sideways when there is no-one around

i guess thats the same as me really

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

scutter

posted on 16/2/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Used and abused for me, no matter what the weather, yes even snow.
Just give it a good going over every 3 months and regrease the suspension every 6, stops the bolts seizing in

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Mine definitely gets used - and I suppose if you regard revving a V6 to 80000 then it does get abused

80000 why do girls exaggerate so much ....LOL

clairetoo

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

80000 why do girls exaggerate so much ....LOL

Tell you what - I'll take you for a spin - and you can watch the rev counter (cuz I dont )

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

matt.c

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Drive it like you stole it!!

DarrenW

posted on 17/2/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Use and abuse here too. However with a twist - its a hobby fun car so the in garage time can be considered pampering.

02GF74

posted on 17/2/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ oh, this will be good thread to come back to when you lot come to sell your cars, or what's left of them!

one careful lady owner indeed!

DIY Si

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
My car is checked over and serviced regularly, but mainly so that I can hammer the crap out of it when the need arises. It even lives outside under a sheet at the moment too. And since I tend to get home when it's dark and I have no outside tap, it's not been cleaned in a good while either.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

wilkingj

posted on 18/2/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
When it goes out on the road, it gets driven as hard as the conditions permit, and then backed off a little, as I try to stay safe.
At my age, I did all the mad ass bits 40 years ago! I drive a lot more sensibly now. However that does not mean I spare the horses on a nice bit of road when its safe to do so.
When I cant press the loud pedal, I just think... "Well there is always tomorrow"

It gets all the maintenance it needs.
Soon its time to get back out there in the garage and do some servicing ready for the warmer weather.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 18/2/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Used and abused on track (by me at least) and then loved and cherished when it's on the road. That's what I like about it, one day you can take it to a show and the next day you can take it to the track. It's just high maintenance inbetween.

Phil

alistairolsen

posted on 18/2/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
All the cars Ive ever had get regular oil changes, warmed up properly and maintained properly. After that tho they get hammered within an inch of their lives almost constantly!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.