Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto age
vinnievector

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
pinto age

Hi guys about two weeks ago i posted on here about a 2ltr pinto and how to asertain its age .
I was told to use the Burtons cat and also contact ford tec centre , i did both.
My eng number begins wt this has two ages attached Aug 1979 and april 1998 In the Burtons cat .
this was also the answer i had from Ford tec centre However i did fail to tell them that it was a ford pinto they did ask this Q in the reply to me .
As you can see i dont want the April 98 date for the eng as this will bring me into cat emissions and judging on the condition of the eng when i bought its not 98 and not injected or unleaded so this must be much early than April 98
So some detective work now ,when i aquired the kit car it came with asorted bits nothing fitted and i was under the inpression that it was off a ford sierra as it came with the diff brakes T9 box ext ext all from a Sierra so assumed that was the same . I now have my doubts for this reason if i go for the 1979 date this is pre Sierra .
So i need to know when the stopped using the pinto ,when they stopped building the Sierra and when unleaded came in . this should pin down the date for me .

Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto's are all nearly as old as the dinosaurs . Safe to say yours is a 1979 vintage then as the DOHC replaced the Pinto for the last couple of years or so of Sierra production (which ended in 1993).

Looks like you have a Cortina block anyway.

jacko

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Think cortina / capri had blue rocker covers sierra had black yours look like its original black in your photos i would say yours is 1975
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lotusmadandy

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Vinnie,,
the sierra went out of production in
1993 and so the last pinto was made i
am led to believe made in late 93.
Also there was not a pinto made with a cat.
are you certain the block is the original
one fitted to the car and not a replacement.1979 engines are fine if they are recon'd.My mate has a sweet 1980
1600 that has'nt been touched.

Andy

lotusmadandy

posted on 17/2/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is safe to say august 79
vinnie,can't be a 98 block.

Andy

meany

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
the 2.0 pinto was replaced circa 1989 by the 2.0 Dohc (twink)...i had an 89 dohc sierra ghia myself. you could ask on the following link.
http://forum.fordsierraclub.co.uk/index.php?sid=4e0362043b8111927b537c4671276731

vinnievector

posted on 17/2/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto age

Thanks guys this has confirm wot i thought so armed with this info i shall write off to Ford tec dept again and get them to confim this .

Just a bit of spec on the pinto i have ,this was purchased with the car but not fitted to the chassie and lay with the head off and water in one of the bores the head was a leaded stadard 2ltr head and was later found to have a crack between bores ,this was later replaced with injection head with a FR32 kent cam kit ,gas flowed and clead up .the block was found to be out of limits on one of the bores due to corrosion and scoring so i had the block bored out to 2.1 set new pistons the rods where fine new shells and crank re-grind sorted out the block along with a new water pump and oil pump i fitted a cozzy sump, new elec dizzy and coil from lucas boggs maifold and a set of R1 carbs .I fitted the engine summer of last year but due to house moves only got around to starting up two mths ago so some tuning issues to sort out .

Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/2/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinnievector
Thanks guys this has confirm wot i thought so armed with this info i shall write off to Ford tec dept again and get them to confim this .

Not sure there is any need to do this (unlike with Zetec's - which i did confirm with Ford Tech Centre). ALL Pinto's (before some smart arse comments i know you can buy a new alloy block from Burton) are pre 1995 and so the SVA examiner shouldnt need proof of age for emissions testing. Dont know anyone who has needed to prove a Pinto age anyway

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.