Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting Fuel Tank
Dave Bailey

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting Fuel Tank

I had a plan to mount my ally fuel tank to the chassis at the bottom rather than use straps. Couple of people have expressed a concern that with the chassis movement the tank may fracture. I plan to mount it on foam. The brackets on the underside of the tank are seam welded so should be strong enough. Anyone done a similar thing without any problems?

Dave B

andylancaster3000

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bad idea in my opinion I'm afraid. It's not just the vibration that is the issue. A full tank is very heavy and as the cars get thrown around the loads through the little brackets will be pretty high. Coupled with the fact that you'd be welding to thin ally sheet they are likely to fatigue to the point of failure in no time IMHO. Same goes for rigidly mounting ally rads and oil cooliers etc

Andy

[Edited on 23/4/09 by andylancaster3000]

vinnievector

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
tank mount

Hi , i got some 6mm threaded bar cut into four welded these to the chasie on the four corners, allowing for the filler and out fittings .some mild steel bar with 6mm clearance holes in some rubber glued to them with contact and also under the tank to ,hope this helps , ho and dont forget nuts bolts and washers to.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.