Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wot No Speedo
wilkingj

posted on 10/5/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Wot No Speedo

Went out today to the Sg7 meet at Baldock. I got about 5 yards up the road and noticed I had no speedo (not working). It had been fine all the way to and from Stoneleigh last week.

About halfway there to Baldock it started working and but incorrectly.
Now Its the proper Rover SD1 Quenched oscillator job that fits in the gearbox, and not a set of magnets glued to the propshaft!

When I got home I had a look.
Well damned if I could even get near it, and could hardly see it.

By wiggling the wires at the top of the gearbox, I deduced it was hanging loose!.
I eventually had to drill a hole in the side panel to the tunnel to get near it.

The securing bolt was down to its last few threads. A quick tighten, (one flat at a time) and its all back togetther. Now I need a matching blanking plate to go with the gearbox filler plug one!.

Oh well, at least it wasnt the sensor, as they are £40 from Rimmer Bros.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own sensor to go in place of the cable on a type 9 box. When I made it I thought that I could fit it from the top - fat chance! I can put it in place, but there's no way that I can fit the circlip.

In the end I used a Q-Max hole cutter to make a neat hole in the side of the tunnel (this was when the car was finished!), fitted the sensor, then neatly pop-riveted an aluminium plate over the hole. I didn't paint the cover - just tried to make as neat as possible.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 10/5/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Saw your car at lunchtime. It's a good looking (and sounding) machine.

Glad you got it sorted out without unneccessary expense!

Managed a quick blat out to ashwell and up to biggleswade on the way home. Lovely weather for it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.