Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Printer advice please
Humbug

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Printer advice please

My Lexmark Z45 printer has just given up the ghost, so I am looking for a replacement - cheap and cheerful is OK as long as it works and the replacement cartridges aren't any more outrageous than usual

I found this one at The Link - £24.50 incl. delivery seems quite good value.

It would be for general use, not photos, etc. - would 1200x1200 dpi (according to Currys) or 1200x1220 black and 4800x1200 for colour (according to some other sites) be sufficient?

Any comments/recommendations?

Cheers

Simon

[Edited on 12/5/09 by Humbug]

[Edited on 12/5/09 by Humbug]

andyd

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, all of those dpi's are high enough to get good quality text and photos even though you don't need the photo bit.

Generally the higher price you pay the better the paper feeding capabilities. The actual printing technology is pretty much standard in most low to mid range printers.

Andy

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the size and price of replacement cartridges - that's where the makers earn their money. The printer itself is almost a loss-leader.

Personally, I'd recommend a H-P printer - the associated software is cr*p, but the hardware is excellent. The cartridges are as expensive as everyone else's, but there are ways to reduce the average cost, e.g. I buy the twin packs of maximum capacity cartridges - big cash outlay, but they last ages and work out half the price of individual ones.

If you get them mail order (usually from Jersey!) then you can reduce the price considerably.

hughpinder

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'd second the comment about the profit being made on the cartridges, not the printer. If you can stretch to it, I'd consider a colour lazer - preferable HP - cheapest, like the one I have, is about £140 now, but you'll print 3000 pages on the supplied half full toner cartridges - the full ones are £80 per colour (a bit less (65)if you pay at cartridge world to have them refilled), but last for 6000 sheets. You wont get photo quality, but its still good for everything else. The kids print loads of stuff for school and I was buying injet cartridges every couple of weeks - I've only replaced the toner in the lazer once in 3 years!
Regards
Hugh

Humbug

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks for the replies. We don't get through that many cartiridges and I've already discovered the multi-pack options and the cheaper suppliers.

Cheers

Simon

madmandegge

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have to say IMO Epson are the printers to go for, the ones I've had contact with have been bomb proof, and the cartridges are the cheapest I've seen.

Refills are readily available and are excellent quality.

We use HP printers at work, and the number of them that break very quickly are amazing, we've even had a few that just don't work out of the box

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have an epson - found that if I didn't use it for a few days the nozzles would dry up and get blocked. I then had to waste ink while I cleared them out.

Apart from that, it was a decent printer.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Somebody was talking about an inkjet printer a while back that had separate cartridges for each colour - can anyone remember what it was?

britishtrident

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you shop around you will find an HP printer/scanner/copier for the £28 to £40 mark --- really don't consider any inkjet other than HP --- they just print and don't give any problems..

link http://www.laskys.com/computing/printing/all_in_one_printers/hp_f2280_multifunction_photoprinter.html?cm_mmc=Dealtime-_-Computing-_-All_In_One_Printer s-_-470023_HP_F2280_MULTIFUNCTION_PHOTOPRINTER&_$ja=tsid:5823|cc:|prd:470023|cat:Computing+%2F+Printing+%2F+All+In+One+Printers+%2F+&engine=de altime&keyword=HP+F2280+MULTIFUNCTION+PHOTOPRINTER

[Edited on 12/5/09 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 12/5/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Somebody was talking about an inkjet printer a while back that had separate cartridges for each colour - can anyone remember what it was?

HP do it on the top end photo printers --- actually not a saving over 2 cartridge printers unless you use an awful lot of one colour,.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I picked my HP multi-function thing mostly because it was only a little more expensive than similar machines, but came with an ethernet port which I could connect directly to my router.

Installed the drivers to each machine and now all can print with minimal hassle - W2K, XP and Linux.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I picked my HP multi-function thing mostly because it was only a little more expensive than similar machines, but came with an ethernet port which I could connect directly to my router.

Installed the drivers to each machine and now all can print and scan with minimal hassle - W2K, XP and Linux. It also has memory card slots accessible from any of my machines.

[Edited on 12/5/09 by David Jenkins]

iank

posted on 12/5/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have two printers, cheap laser (Samsung ML1210) for Black and White, and a Canon pixma MP160 combined colour inkjet and scanner I got for free because it was 'broken' - haven't found anything wrong with it yet

I used to have a 6 colour photo printer and the printing on photo paper was superb, but for the use it got I found photobox online printing to be cheaper and a lot more convenient.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

theconrodkid

posted on 12/5/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
i got a HP for £20 odd at tesco,prints,scans and faxes,ink is a lot cheaper than my old lexmark and best of all its nearly numptyproof

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Keith Weiland

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you use your printer more than once a week go for an Epson or Canon as the aftermarket ink is as cheap as chips but the print heads are part of the printer. If you use it less often then I would say HP or Lexmark as the head is part of the ink cartridge so if gets blocked can be replaced as simply as changing ink but the ink is expensive because of patents on the cartridges.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 13/5/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
HP make some Inkjets that are the cheapest per page of any printers - just ask around - some will print over 2000 pages per crtridge at significantly lower prices than laser printers.

I think one is the X4500 business jet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.