Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions Testing
greggors84

posted on 12/3/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions Testing

As i cant read the engine number on my block (as someone appears to grinded it off!) therefore i cant write off to ford and get the date of the engine, unless i steal one off another engine and stamp it on mine (i dont really want the repercussions in a couple of years time). I thought if i couldnt prove the year of manufacture, it would have to be tested with the harsher cat emissions test.

BUT.....

I have just read this in a (sort of) SVA manual...

quote:

if the effective date cannot be determined it will assumed to be between 1st August 1986 and 31st July 1992

and...

quote:

Vehicles that require a catalyst test

Passenger cars having an effective date from 1st August 1992 to 31st July 1994

All Passenger cars having an effective date from 1st August 1994

So....

It looks like i can just make up the engine number, stamp it on and as long as it matches the one on the chassis plate (or where ever they check it against) all will be cushty!

Please someone tell me im right.

Thanks

p.s. i have a feeling this is a bit too good to be true, other wise wouldnt builders of cars with new engines just say they didnt know when it was built, or is there something stopping them doing this?

[Edited on 12/3/04 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I hope your right, if so I can grind my engine nubmer off but I dont think its going to be that easy

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

JamJah

posted on 12/3/04 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
doesnt a grined engine generally suggest its nicked to other people? is it to stop identity stealing? still looks suss to me.
greggors84

posted on 12/3/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i have come to the conclusion it was probably once nicked!

But i bought it off a mate who used it in a buggy, he got it off a mate who also used it in a buggy, they have no reason to check the engine number so im going to have a hard time tracking down who stole it!

Hence im quite eager to make my own number and start afresh.

If you mean wont the tester think its sussed that ive ground the number off, i will just say, the old one was illegible so i made up my own, dont worry i plan to phone the centre to check, but im not sure which one im going to yet and have heard different centres have different opinions on things.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Or nip down the scrappy and find yourself an engine/number and put it on yours.

Carl.H

posted on 12/3/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Didn’t they stop making pintos before 1995, so even if it was the last one ford made it doesn’t need to pass the latest emissions tests.

I’m not sure about this but I’m sure someone else on the site knows

I drink to make other people interesting.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think theres 2 problems there. 1. You need an engine number for the paperwork and 2 you have to prove the age of the engine ie letter from Ford to get lower emissions test.

alfasudsprint

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
emissions

I am very interested...as i have an engine built in Brazil which I intend to ship to UK next year...what if i cant get the year on this bugger, I have been wondering...if its assumed pre 92 no cat needed...correct? If so, what are the CO and hydrocarbon levels required, anyone know?
Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
You have to prove the year of manufacture or they will test it under the current emissions rules.

alfasudsprint

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
...and that means cat right?
Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry yes

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
But its only like the BECs you only need it to get through the SVA, after that you will be either on a Q plate or age related and it just a smoke test for the MOT.

greggors84

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Will phone the SVA centre about this tomorrow, as it seems a few people are interested and no one really knows.

If it was built in 1995 it would still need a cat as the cut off point was 1st august 1994.

Mk-Ninja - I dont really want to nick another number of another engine, incase someone by chance decides to put the engine in kit car. I could always buy the engine and then bury in my back garden!

Also if i make up the engine number up, whats stopping me putting that on the paperwork, i am building a brand new car, the chassi number will be brand new. One thing im not sure about in the vin plate (does this include both the above?). Lastly if you look at what i found in the SVA manual, it says that they put it in that age group if you can prove the age.

but i will try and find out tomorrow.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

alfasudsprint

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
any idea how difficult it would be to get the emissions down to that level even with a hired temporary cat?
I was considering a megasquirt anyway, that could be used to reduce emissions I am sure...other possiblity is buy a bike engine like i always wanted! CBR for 400 sound posible?
tim

Mk-Ninja

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you make your engine nubmer up then you will not be able to verify the age and as such will be liable to current emissions tests. If you get a number from the scrappy you could give them a tener to use the number, and chisel it off so it cant be used again.

greggors84

posted on 12/3/04 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mk-ninja

As from my first post this is what i read in a SVA guide, these were quotes from the SVA manual

quote:

if the effective date cannot be determined it will assumed to be between 1st August 1986 and 31st July 1992

and...

quote:

Vehicles that require a catalyst test

Passenger cars having an effective date from 1st August 1992 to 31st July 1994

All Passenger cars having an effective date from 1st August 1994

Surely this means that if the age couldnt be determined it would be put in this group, meaning it didnt need the cat test, and just the test for that age group of engines.

Before i read this, i thought exactly the same as you, but im hoping i can get away with making a new engine number, as it will be more legit than using another engine number.

Will see what they say.

By the way, you can get a bike engine for £400 but you need a few things to go with it, that can hike the price up. The BEC boys will know what you need and how much.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

alfasudsprint

posted on 13/3/04 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for replies guys
JamJah

posted on 13/3/04 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
doesnt MR SVA or MRS DVLA-Swansea (thats the poshest theyll ever get! Double barrelled, owwhhh!) need proof that absolutely no piece is stolen or possible stolen.
greggors84

posted on 13/3/04 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure, havent heard anything about it before, but there will probably be something on one of the forms.

Anyone who has registered their car confirm?

[Edited on 13/3/04 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Kitlooney1000

posted on 16/3/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
if they expect any part of the car to be stolen then are within their rights to impound it, not the part, the whole car
britishtrident

posted on 22/3/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
As i cant read the engine number on my block (as someone appears to grinded it off!) therefore i cant write off to ford and get the date of the engine, unless i steal one off another engine and stamp it on mine (i dont really want the repercussions in a couple of years time).

snip

Give it back to your "mate" its a ringer, the engine number might be invisible to the naked eye but it is still there and can be recovered using various methods available to your local stolen car squad.

When buying an engine always make sure it has a number and ideally get it on the receipt with the engine number on it.

Peteff

posted on 22/3/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Some tuning firms took the original number off and put their own on for their own records so they could tell what had been done to an engine if it ever came back to them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 22/3/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you keep the engine, I'd do the scrappy run and find a number you could use, preferrably off a totally dead engine (ie hole in the block) so you know it'll never be re used elsewhere.

If in any doubt then flog the engine on and buy another.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.