Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Luego Viento - what I bought! Also manual needed.
Irony

posted on 14/8/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Luego Viento - what I bought! Also manual needed.

Now I have had time to look over in detail the stuff I bought from ebay. I am new to this kitcar thing but and I think I got a good deal. It went as follows.

Luego Viento Chassis Powered Coated in Black (which is very nice)
Two Rover V8's both of which have stood for 18 months in a garage - one has apparently had new rings and bearings not long back. Ones a auto and one has a LT77 but with no bellhousing. No records, no milage reports.
All the GRP (Black still in bubble wrap) but only one cycle wing as he sat on one.
Granada rear diff and drive shafts fitted.
Discs all round, drilled and vented on the front, vented on the back. All fitted.
Gaz shocks all round (one rubber bush is mildly corroded)
Brake lines all fitted but not pinned back
Pedel box and cylinders all in.
White 17in alloys with good tires (alloys are nice but one perhaps beyond refurbishment) All fitted.
Steering assembly all fitted including ford indicators etc
Floor pans and side panels are in place and nicely finished
Leugo Viento wiring loom
Alloy petrol tank (fitted)
All lights

With the mileage it stands me at 3650 quids. And paying a driver 60 quids. He snapped my hand off even though he reckoned he wanted 4k for it. Bugger.

It was the auction on ebay in Scotland as a couple of people have asked. It was a very very long way and was a bit knackering. The man wasn't the most talkative (as some of you mentioned) but he was a kindly fellow. He was also HUGE, about 6 foot 2 but massively broad, he nearly lifted the V8 on the trailer by himself!! I could barely understand his accent.

So in my garage is a rolling Luego Viento and on the floor, two V8s.

I must admit I am nervous about the V8's as I have no experience stripping down engines. If the information is available and with people like yourselves I should be okay.

I have decided to more or less take the rolling chassis back to its components and check over all the previous owner did. Many people have said to me, 'where are you gonna start??????' I say simply 'Page 1 chapter 1'

Does anyone have a latest version of the manual - The one that I can find on the net is 2003?

200mph

posted on 14/8/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

I could barely understand his accent.

I'm Scottish and I frequently have this problem!!

Way to go on the purchase - definitely a buyers market. Best of luck with the build and I'm sure someone knowledgable will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

All the best

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

TimC

posted on 14/8/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'll give you £10 for your cycle wing? A pair are £20 on eBay....

Irony

posted on 14/8/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cycle Wing

It is in okay structural condition but its not in good shape cosmetically. Its got surface scratches all over it. Its been kicking around on a garage floor by the looks of it. A sand and paint would see it looking alright. If your still interested I shall post up a pic.
GrumpyOne

posted on 14/8/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
He was also HUGE, about 6 foot 2 but massively broad, he nearly lifted the V8 on the trailer by himself!! I could barely understand his accent.

Does anyone have a latest version of the manual - The one that I can find on the net is 2003?

At 6' 2", he must have been a youngster, we get bigger with age. I am 6' 6" with a 52" chest

Iv'e just started building a Viento and there is no build manual. The manual you have is from the previous owners of Luego and I think it is for a Velocity rather than a Viento.
If you get stuck or want bits call Ben at Luego he is a top bloke and very helpful.

Good luck with the build

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

02GF74

posted on 14/8/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
what do you reckon it'll cost you to get it on the road?

quick look shows asking prcie for v8 vientos is around £ 7 k - you have about £ 2 k to be quicds in.

the components fo the V8s should be interchangeable so you should get a good working one - I think the crank is different for the auto so check that.

you can work out the spec. of the V8 from their engine number - search web or if you are lazy, u2u the first few characters and I can look them up.

The engine number and compression ratio are stamped on the left side of the block in between the centre two spark plugs , near the dipstick. On earlier models the engine number is stamped on horizontal flat surface at the rear of the left-hand cylinder bank

wilkingj

posted on 14/8/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think thats all the manual there is.
Only use it a a guide....

You will fit things then have to take them off again to get other bits on!.
Thats half the fun.

Spend a long time thinking about how and why and where to put things.

In my archive is a LOT of photo's of Luego's Demonstrator (the Blue one).
I built mine using these photo's as I knew this build had been though SVA and was on the road. ie it works (as a build for positioning the parts etc)

Look at other peoples builds (archives) and think about it!

Also ask on here, even simple problems are common on here, as its easy for us to give you the benefit of our experience.
USE the SEARCH facility on here, as most things have been done to death over the years

The Rover Engine is very simple.... Its American 1950's design. Believe me!

Check the capri racing website out for the engine numbers so you know what the engines are, as there are many variants.

Read the RPI engineering websites articles on how to tell the condition of the engine.
Buy your bits for the einge from Paul at:
http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/ he is fair, and a helpful chap, as attested by others on here.

I am sure we will all help you as much as we can.
Try to get to one of the rallies, I think Stafford is next, and not many of us go to the Exeter one, its a long way and not in the best time of the year!

Take it slow and steady, take and post pictures of the build. ASK anything on here, you never know... there is a LOT of experienced people on here.

Above all enjoy the highs and lows of the build!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 14/8/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
engine parts:

rpi, also rimmer brothers.

it was used in range rover and defender to Paddocks and Craddocks sell V8 engine parts - these arefgor the Ranger Rover as opposed to the car (P5/P6/SD1 rovers) which namely differ by the water pump and timing cover.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 14/8/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have the original manual on disc ( possibly!) and also some good info + workshop guides for rebuilding the 3.5 V8,

If you want them I can either email them to you ( big files ) or put them on disc and post them.

Paul

edit

alos I used an automatic engine but converted it to a manual box so either of the engines you have will be possible to fit to the lt77.

do you have the gear change remote for the lt77?

[Edited on 14/8/09 by Paul (Notts)]

Irony

posted on 14/8/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
I have the original manual on disc ( possibly!) and also some good info + workshop guides for rebuilding the 3.5 V8,

If you want them I can either email them to you ( big files ) or put them on disc and post them.

Paul

Genius - cheers mate, sent you a email!

[Edited on 14/8/09 by Irony]

repper

posted on 14/8/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
i found this a bit back it my help

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gmSavy1RPxEC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false

and all so there is

http://www.v8forum.co.uk

good luck with your build sounds like you got a fear bit off stuff

rusty nuts

posted on 14/8/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here for crush tubes , it could save you loads of aggro . Fit the O/S tunnel panel before fitting the pedals , run your fuel lines, wiring loom and brake pipes down the tunnel before fitting the engine/gearbox/prop etc. Check the front suspension mounting bracket position as some (if not all ) may be out of alignment . Have fun and don't forget to show your face at shows. P.S. Mines a cider!
Paul (Notts)

posted on 14/8/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
apple or pear ? rusty..

Paul

rusty nuts

posted on 15/8/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
apple or pear ? rusty..

Paul

You should know by now , I'm not fussy!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.