Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ot: new pc hardware
dan__wright

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
ot: new pc hardware

can you run over this, let me know if i can get something better for the price or cheaper etc.

prices are from ebuyer.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor £49.74 £43.25
Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM £53.49 £46.51
Casecom Silver/Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU £12.99 £11.29
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler £14.56 £12.66
Xilence Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan - 3&4pin connection £2.96 £2.57
ASUS P5Q-EM iG45 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard £83.46 £72.57
Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V £42.99 £37.38
HP DVD1160i 22x DVD1RW DL & DVD-Ram + LightScribe - Retail With Software £17.28 £15.02
Compucase Z-Power 550W PSU - 12cm Fan 20+4pin 1x SATA £19.99 £17.38

its mainly to run as a home server (file / media / web server), went for that board for the raid 5 but also need to be able to take 8gb ram min, will be adding a few more drives and striping them in a few months.

im a little out of touch on desktop hardware though as i havent had to deal with desktop stuff recently, its been all server stuff which i would love but probably couldnt afford it lol

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mookaloid

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
without doing lots of research for you it's hard to say but that looks like a reasonable spec for not a lot of money to me

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

BenB

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
LOL! The mboard is the most expensive bit!! Remember a while back it was the cheapest

You know you're going to want to play COD5..... Be a shame to have a nice rig and no decent graphics card....

dan__wright

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
LOL! The mboard is the most expensive bit!! Remember a while back it was the cheapest

You know you're going to want to play COD5..... Be a shame to have a nice rig and no decent graphics card....

its a bloody high spec board though, was looking at £30 boards but this one does loads of raid levels, 16g ram, 6 sata etc

its got a x16 slot though so can always add in a reasonable card for not a huge amount if tempted but its probably going to run esxi so no gaming on it.

will save cod for the ps3

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

maxey74

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Another pro nerd! I also have an ESX box in the corner... No raid on mine but it was 'complimentary' so can't complain

Greets!

Max

Staple balls

posted on 4/9/09 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me, mostly.

I'd chuck the PSU and spend some money on a decent one.

IME your average budget PSU will last about 6 months, have horrible voltage spikes and try very, very hard to eat the rest of your hardware, not to mention be terribly inefficient and not deliver anywhere near the stated power.

Personally for a machine like that, I'd probably look towards something like this or this.

Jubal

posted on 4/9/09 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing you have some chunky web apps or databases in mind? My home server is an E2200/2Gb/4TB running WHS and because it uses its own duplication system RAID isn't required. Unless you are a major linux fan happy to roll your own I can't recommend it highly enough. It just works and the media / backup side of things is child's play. The range of add-ins grows daily too.
Peteff

posted on 4/9/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap motherboard with onboard graphics when my old one clapped out last year thinking to upgrade it when I got round to it and it's still in there doing it's thing. Do you need lots of raid options if you are only installing one HDD ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dan__wright

posted on 4/9/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
yeah the psu was my only concern,
looking at the Corsair 450W HX Series Modular PSU now

its not that high spec, the big ram is because it will be running esx and some media streaming stuff.

as for the raid, i will be throwning a load of drives in it in a few months.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Davey D

posted on 4/9/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ive tried using raid on 3 different motherboards, and the results havent been great with the raid setup failing, and losing its config

if im ever going to use raid at home again ill be using a dedicated controller card

Staple balls

posted on 4/9/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd advise some caution using motherboard raid, it can be a bit of a dead end if the motherboard dies and you can't get a replacement.

I'd perhaps consider a slightly heftier PSU if you're planning on a lot of drives and maybe adding a graphics card later, saying that my machine (13 hdds, massive graphics card) doesn't often pull more than 600w at the wall.

Tatey

posted on 8/9/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd also recommend a higher specced PSU, other than that it all looks good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.