Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow Problems
WestfieldSEI

posted on 18/9/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow Problems

I am just rebuilding my crossflow and have hit upon a problem with the crankshaft pulley.

It slides onto the shaft fine but when I torque up the centre bolt the pulley flanges tightens up against the block/sump.

This is a 711 1600 block, everything is standard including the pulley (pressed steel type). I cannot work out how the crankshaft can have moved towards the clutch or whether there was a spacer inside the pulley nose to space it away from the block/sump.

Any answers gratefully received...

cheers

James

Marcus

posted on 18/9/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an endfloat issue to me..
Have you replaced the main bearings?
One of the end ones (can't remember which) controls the crank endfloat. If the crank is too far back in the block, the pulley will foul the block / sump.
Don't know if this is any help, but I can't think of anything else which would cause this....

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
WestfieldSEI

posted on 18/9/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
well thats what I was thinking, but quite sure there is no endfloat and that thrust washers are in correct place...
MikeRJ

posted on 18/9/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is the timing chain cover straight and bolted down fully?

The crank pulley butts up against the sprocket that drives the camshaft and the large "oil thrower" washer; is this washer definitely fitted?

WestfieldSEI

posted on 18/9/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm

good question, i'll make sure....

prawnabie

posted on 18/9/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Your not using a FWD timing case are you by any chance?
rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Did you strip the engine? was it OK before stripping? What parts have you changed? Would recommend NOT using the pressed steel pulley as they self destruct although it shouldn't cause any problems with assembly. I have a spare pulley somewhere that I can measure if it helps
WestfieldSEI

posted on 19/9/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
okay its sorted, the problem was quite obvious once i realised what it was. The pulley I was using looks as though its been in 'pushed back' as might happen in a frontal smash. I compared to another pulley I had on a spare engine and the difference was obvious. I fitted the spare pulley and all is well!

Thanks for the suggestions

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.