Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT longshot: Bedford TK cab removal
Benzine

posted on 21/9/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
OT longshot: Bedford TK cab removal

Long shot but... has anyone got any experience of doing this?

I have a non-tilting cab bedford TK (1972, 330 engine) and I want to do a big service/clean of the engine and ancillaries. With the cab on, nothing is easy to get to (i believe the TKs are notorious for this) and I'd like to be able to have full access do be able to replace rad hoses etc.

So far on the net I've found this (taking about engine removal but deals with cab removal.):

quote:

Remove the cab first undo the front grill undo fabric coupling for steering column (I presume this is a 330 cu in 6 cylinder donkey} undo throttle linkage at pedal under cab undo pinch bolts to brake and clutch pedals.Disconnect wiring plugs to cab if I remember there are 4 block connectors.Remove gear lever knob and gaiter.remove heater pipes to heater box.Undo 4 long bolts that secure cab to chassis(2 at the front and 2 at the rear)Undo stop control cable at injection pump.Unbolt header tank from rear of cab and just leave hanging.Think thats about it shut both cab doors wind down windows ,put a large plank through the windows get a stap or chain and lift off the cab.If you try and remove it from below they are a fuc*ing nightmare.No special tools needed.

(I had a quick look round the cab today, add disconnecting the air handbrake to that list ^)

I was wondering how hard this is. I don't mind if it takes a long time. Also how heavy are the cabs? I'll have access to a forklift, will that do the job?

Last question: does the cab have to be lifted much before being drawn away from the chassis? I ask this as as you can see in the pic below, the cab is very close to the body (I could take away the lower wooden panel which would give another 6" of clearance)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
need4speed

posted on 21/9/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'll ask a chap down the road tomorow I'm sure he's done them before. What I do know is that the gearbox comes out real easy. They used to disapear over night quite regular around here.

Cheers,

Dave

prawnabie

posted on 21/9/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you go by the statement "They don't make em like that anymore" The cab will be the heaviest part! I reckon they used proper british steel too which will be at least an inch think lmao!
Benzine

posted on 21/9/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by need4speed
I'll ask a chap down the road tomorow I'm sure he's done them before. What I do know is that the gearbox comes out real easy. They used to disapear over night quite regular around here.

thanks yeah i've heard that too, 4 bolts and it's out. one on ebay atm for £750

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Theshed

posted on 21/9/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I spent about 8 years driving the 4wd versions around Africa. We used to demolish gearboxes on a regular basis. One of my mates carried a spare on a plane as hand luggage - 75KG!

On the other hand I have done every job you can imagine on these and never had to remove the cab. A lot of work just to drive along knowing the engine is clean. You can definitely get to all hoses with a bit of hassle. With that body I would say that you are looking at jacking up the whole body an inch or six. You can take off the head in situ - horrible job.

If you must a log through the windows is probably the way to go..

rgdavid

posted on 21/9/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
lovely TK, freind of mine had one which was a travelling music stage (wango rileys travelling stage)

i had a TK based ex-libary bus, called the "bumble bus"

ive got a commer Q4, replaced the stupid six cylindre petrol engine with a bedford 466,
was lots of work to make engine mounts, drive shafts, electrics etc,

bit like a huge kit car really

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.